1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the impedance of circuits.

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    I'm currently taking a junior circuits lab that expects familiarity with impedance (my intro E/M course never covered it), so I just want to make sure I did these two impedance problems correctly (the second one asks merely for a formula, so no calculation was done):

tFqniA0.png

t5RyQE3.png

Later in the assignment, I'm also asked the plot the phase of Z1 as a function of frequency. For that (letting Z1 = x + yi), the phase is just arctan(y/x), right?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2
    Seems all good to me.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me also.

Caution: in computing arc tan (y/x), be sure to retain the signs of x and y to determine in which quadrant the angle belongs. Arc tan b/(-a) is not the same angle as arc tan (-b)/a.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4
    There was actually a little mistake--on the last line I replaced the -i with -1 :P

Anyway, I was actually plotting the phase over 10^6 frequency range, so which quadrant to place it in is a non-issue. It looks pretty neat too (note the x-axis is logarithmic):

4RHtjSy.png

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5
    Whoops, messed up a sign. Should be this:

yD2t7Ia.png

7. Jan 22, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was a about to draw your attention to that! Now it's OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook