How Do You Calculate Complex Impedance in AC Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the complex impedance of a circuit, including limiting cases and determining the maximum current (Imax) and phase. The correct equation for the complex impedance is determined to be Z=(1/R + 1/Xc)^-1 + iXL, and the conversation also covers the process of simplifying this equation to the desired form.
scorpius1782
The circuit and questions are attached.

Homework Statement

First: Calculate the complex impedance of the circuit.
Second:Limiting cases
Third:Imax
Lastly: Phase

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never had any ac circuits and the DC circuits I did before transferring were extremely simple and more than a couple years ago. So, I'm lost.

I asked a friend for help and he indicated that the initial equation should look something like:

##Z=(\frac{1}{R} -\frac{1}{wCi})^{-1}+iwL##

If this is correct then I believe I have a,b,c covered. Can someone comment to let me know?

Once I have that squared away then for part D am I understanding it correctly that they want that I do this with the real equation instead of the complex one?

Attachments

• RLC.jpg
    RLC.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried figuring this out myself and I get a different impedance than my friend.

##Z=(\frac{1}{R} +\frac{1}{X_C})^{-1}+X_L##
So for the complex impedance I got:
##Z=(\frac{1}{R} +wCi)^{-1}+iwL##

This is where I'm stuck. I'm just not sure which (if either) is correct! If mine is correct I have a lot of algebra to do in order to get it to the form they want.

You have a resistor in parallel with a capacitor. The node connecting these two is in series with the inductor.

[itex]Z_{total} = Z_{C}||Z_R + Z_L[/itex]

You have to be careful when determining the impedance of the parallel network due to the imaginary number associated with the capacitor.

I've calculated impedance using the first equation I was told was correct and now the one I've come up with. I don't understand what you're trying to tell me though. Like I said, I've done only RC circuits and years ago so I'm entirely lost with this.

scorpius1782 said:
I've tried figuring this out myself and I get a different impedance than my friend.

##Z=(\frac{1}{R} +\frac{1}{X_C})^{-1}+X_L##
So for the complex impedance I got:
##Z=(\frac{1}{R} +wCi)^{-1}+iwL##

This is where I'm stuck. I'm just not sure which (if either) is correct! If mine is correct I have a lot of algebra to do in order to get it to the form they want.

The bottom one is correct.

Thank goodness! Glad I didn't waste my time redoing it. I thought the first one looked fishy. I separated the equation so that its in the format they asked for. It's messy but wolfram got the same:

##Z=\frac{1}{C^2Rw^2+\frac{1}{R}}+i(Lw-\frac{Cw}{C^2w^2+\frac{1}{R^2}}) ##

You asked in the other thread setting up the complex impedance for figuring out the phase. I do not know what the relationship is between the two.

Thank you for your help. Wish I could have started school here instead of transferring. I'm behind in every class it seems.

Related to How Do You Calculate Complex Impedance in AC Circuits?

1. What is complex impedance in an AC circuit?

Complex impedance is a measure of the combined resistance, inductance, and capacitance in an AC circuit. It is represented by a complex number and takes into account both the magnitude and phase of the impedance.

2. How is complex impedance calculated?

Complex impedance is calculated by taking the ratio of the voltage and current in an AC circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

3. Why is complex impedance important in AC circuits?

Complex impedance is important because it helps us understand how an AC circuit responds to different frequencies. It also allows us to calculate the power, current, and voltage in a circuit.

4. How does complex impedance differ from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to current flow in a circuit, while complex impedance takes into account both the magnitude and phase of the impedance. This means that complex impedance is a more comprehensive measure that includes the effects of inductance and capacitance.

5. How can I calculate the complex impedance of an AC circuit with multiple components?

To calculate the complex impedance of an AC circuit with multiple components, you can use the formula Z = √(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance. Alternatively, you can convert each component into its complex form and add them together to find the overall complex impedance.