Finding the initial speed of the baseball?

In summary, the problem involves a home run being hit at an angle of 37 degrees to the horizontal, with an initial height of 1 m and air resistance being negligible. Using the equations d = vt for horizontal distance and d = vt + ½at² for vertical distance, we can solve for the initial speed of the ball. Plugging in the values given, the initial speed is approximately 25.2 m/s.
gap0063
1. A home run is hit such a way that the baseballjust clears a wall 27 m high located 147 mfrom home plate. The ball is hit at an angleof 37◦ to the horizontal, and air resistance isnegligible. Assume the ball is hit at a heightof 1 m above the ground.The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .What is the initial speed of the ball?Answer in units of m/s.

2. tried: xf=xi+vxit+.5g^2
tan theta= vy/vx => vy= vx*tan theta
yf=vyt+.5gt^2

3. with the above equation I got:
147= 0+ vxi(4.30407) + 4.9(4.30407)^2=13.0638 wrong
I got t= 4.30407 by pluging in vy= vx*tan theta into yf=vyt+.5gt^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I got t= 4.30407 by plugging in vy= vx*tan theta into yf=vyt+.5gt^2
I don't understand how you got the time. Surely you still have two unknowns, time and vx or vy? I got a slightly different answer for the time.

This problem yields to the old high school routine of making two headings for "horizontal" and "vertical", writing d = vt for the horizontal and d = vt + ½at² for the vertical. I would use v*cos(37) for the horizontal v, and v*sin(37) for the vertical initial v. This way you have two equations and two unknowns (v and t).

1. How do you calculate the initial speed of a baseball?

To calculate the initial speed of a baseball, you need to know the distance traveled by the ball and the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for initial speed is initial speed = distance / time.

2. Can the initial speed of a baseball be measured by a radar gun?

Yes, a radar gun is a commonly used tool to measure the initial speed of a baseball. It uses the Doppler effect to measure the change in frequency of the radar waves bouncing off the ball, which can then be translated into the initial speed of the ball.

3. What factors can affect the initial speed of a baseball?

The initial speed of a baseball can be affected by several factors, including the force applied by the pitcher, the type of pitch thrown, the air resistance, and the temperature and humidity of the air.

4. Is the initial speed of a baseball the same as its velocity?

No, the initial speed and velocity of a baseball are not the same. Initial speed refers to the magnitude of the ball's motion at the moment it leaves the pitcher's hand, while velocity includes both speed and direction of motion.

5. Why is finding the initial speed of a baseball important?

Finding the initial speed of a baseball is important because it can provide valuable information about the pitch, such as the pitcher's skill and the potential trajectory of the ball. It can also help coaches and players analyze and improve their technique and strategy.