Finding the initial velocity of a projectile, given time, an angle, and distance

In summary, the initial velocity (Vo) of a baseball thrown at 20 degrees to the horizontal can be calculated by using the range (distance) equation, where the total time of 2.1 seconds and the horizontal distance of 18 meters are plugged in. The resulting velocity is 9.123 m/s. It is not necessary to find the vertical velocity (Vfy) as it is the same as the initial vertical velocity (Voy) but with a negative sign due to downward motion. It is important to use the correct equations and watch for significant digits when solving this problem.
science_rules

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown at 20 degrees to the horizontal. The ball travels a horizontal distance of 18 meters when it returns to the same level as the instant it had been thrown. The total time it traveled between these points is 2.1 seconds.
Determine the initial velocity (Vo) of the ball at its starting point.

Homework Equations

Range (distance) equation = (Vox)t, t = total time = 2.1 seconds
Vox = Vocos20

The Attempt at a Solution

(RIGHT WAY?)
R = (Vox)t
18 meters = (Vox)t = (Vocos20)(2.1 seconds) = (Vo)(1.973)
then: 18 meters/1.973 = 9.123 m/s initial velocity

I was initially thinking of solving it by using the time equation to solve for Vo (but then i realized i needed a different equation to incorporate the distance information given):
t = Vfy - Voy / -9.8 m/s^2 = 2.1 seconds (WRONG WAY) there was no way i could find Vo using this way since there was no way to incorporate the distance info given into the time equation, so i used the Range equation instead. I assume there is no need to find Vfy specifically for this problem.

Question: Would Vfy (being at the same level as Voy was when the ball started) be the same number as Voy, only a negative number (because of downward velocity)?? Since the ball's velocity decreases during the first half of the trajectory, then increases during the second half, it seems to me that it would approach the exact same velocity at a given point on the other side of its trajectory.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct, assuming no air resistance.
Watch your significant digits.

will do, thanks.

1. What is the equation for finding the initial velocity of a projectile?

The equation for finding the initial velocity of a projectile is v0 = d / (t * cosθ), where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, t is the time, and θ is the angle of launch.

2. How do you determine the angle of launch for a projectile?

The angle of launch can be determined by using the equation θ = arccos[(d * g) / (v02)], where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

3. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be negative if the projectile is launched at an angle below the horizontal. This indicates that the projectile is moving downward.

4. What units should be used for time, distance, and angle in the equation?

The units for time should be in seconds (s), distance should be in meters (m), and angle should be in degrees (°). It is important to ensure that all units are consistent and in the correct SI units.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my calculated initial velocity?

You can verify the accuracy of your calculated initial velocity by performing multiple trials and calculating the average initial velocity. Additionally, you can compare your results to the expected initial velocity based on the theoretical maximum height and range of the projectile.