Finding the integrating factor

In summary, the conversation involved a question about solving for a given equation. The individual found the values for My and Nx, subtracted them, and divided by a certain expression. They then multiplied the original equation by y^2 and used the exact equation formula to solve for it. They also mentioned a hint about using (Nx-My)/M to solve the equation.
newtomath
I am having trouble with the below:

[ 4* (x^3/y^2) + (3/y)] dx + [3*(x/y^2) +4y]dy=0

I found My= -8x^3y^-3 - 3y^-2 and Nx= 3y^-2
i then subtracted Nx from My and divided by [3*(x/y^2) +4y]

[-8x^3y^-3 - 6y^-2] / [3*(x/y^2) +4y]. can you guys give me a hint as to where my error is?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I multiplied the original equation by y^2 on both sides and got:

(4x^3+3y) dx + (3x+4y^3) dy = 0

and this equation is exact. You have to remember that I(x) = exp^(Integral[(M_y-N_x)/N,x]). In this case, since M_y=N_x, you get exp(Integral[0,x]) = 1.

Thanks. I figured that (Nx-My)/M did the trick

What is an integrating factor and why is it important?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to solve differential equations. It is important because it simplifies the process of solving differential equations by allowing us to use basic algebraic techniques.

How do you find the integrating factor for a differential equation?

The integrating factor for a differential equation can be found by multiplying the entire equation by a function that satisfies a certain condition. This condition is that when the function is multiplied by the original differential equation, it becomes an exact differential equation.

Can you provide an example of finding the integrating factor for a differential equation?

Sure, let's say we have the differential equation dy/dx + 2xy = 6x. We can find the integrating factor by dividing the coefficient of y (2x) by the coefficient of x (1). This gives us the integrating factor of e^2x. Multiplying the entire equation by this integrating factor will make it into an exact differential equation.

What is the purpose of using an integrating factor in solving differential equations?

The purpose of using an integrating factor is to transform a non-exact differential equation into an exact one, which is easier to solve. It also allows us to use basic integration techniques to find the solution of the differential equation.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using an integrating factor?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using an integrating factor. The function used as the integrating factor must be continuous and non-zero. It also must satisfy the condition mentioned earlier of turning the original differential equation into an exact one. Additionally, some differential equations may not have an integrating factor, making it impossible to solve using this method.