Finding the inverse of a group

In summary, the inverse of a group is an element that, when combined with another element in the group using the group operation, results in the identity element. To find the inverse of a group, you can use the inverse property or mathematical techniques. Not all groups have inverses, and finding the inverse of a group has many applications in mathematics. The inverse of a group is unique, meaning that there is only one element that acts as its inverse.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

If a(sub_1), a(sub_2), ...,a(sub_n) belong to a group, what is the inverse of a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n)

Homework Equations

no equations are used

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose b and c are both inverses of a(sub_1), a(sub_2), ...,a(sub_n). Then a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) *b =e and a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) * c=e

Therefore a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) *b= a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) *c

Through cancellation b=c.

I think I only proved that a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) has an inverse. I didn't really find the inverse of a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n)

How would find the inverse?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose a and b are in a group G, what is the inverse of ab?

d_leet said:
Suppose a and b are in a group G, what is the inverse of ab?

Thats easy. the inverse of ab would just be ba.

Benzoate said:
Thats easy. the inverse of ab would just be ba.

Is it?

So you are saying that (ab)(ba)=abba=ab2a=e in general for any group?

Benzoate said:

Homework Statement

If a(sub_1), a(sub_2), ...,a(sub_n) belong to a group, what is the inverse of a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n)

Homework Equations

no equations are used

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose b and c are both inverses of a(sub_1), a(sub_2), ...,a(sub_n). Then a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) *b =e and a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) * c=e

I think I only proved that a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) has an inverse. I didn't really find the inverse of a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n)

How would find the inverse?

The fact that a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n) has an inverse is implied in the axioms of a group. One of the axioms is "To every element a in the group, there is an inverse a^-1 such that aa^-1=a^-1a=e", remember? What you proved is that the inverse is unique, not that is exists. More generally,

Let b and c be inverses to a. Then ab=e ==>c(ab)=ce ==>(ca)b=c ==>eb=c ==>b=c.

I supposed that the inverse of a exists and that b and c are such inverses. I came out of the chain of implication with b=c. So the conclusion is "Supposing the inverse exists, it is unique". there is nothing in my reasoning (which is the same as yours) that implies the existence of the inverse. But thankfully, it is part of the definition of a group that every element has an inverse.Also, I would like to know if you yourself know what it means to "cancel", as in when you say

Benzoate said:

Consider the equation ab=ac. Then to "cancel" the a on both sides means to multiply both sides of the equality from the right by the inverse of a:

ab=ac ==> (a^-1)ab=(a^-1)ac ==> (a^-1a)b=(a^-1a)c ==> eb=ec ==> b=c

You thought you had proved the existence of the inverse but you used the fact that it exists when you "canceled" on both sides.

These are the flaws I found in your reasoning. I hope you will benefit from the criticism.Now for a hint to the actual problem: Use the fact that the inverse of each a(sub_i) exists to construct the inverse of a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n).

Last edited:
d_leet said:
Is it?

So you are saying that (ab)(ba)=abba=ab2a=e in general for any group?

I was referring to the rule for an inverse: ab=ba=e

Benzoate said:
I was referring to the rule for an inverse: ab=ba=e

Alright, but I never said that a, and b were inverses of one another. I asked that if a and b were two arbitrary elements in a group, then what is the inverse of their product ab? Or at least that is what I meant to ask.

quasar987 said:
Now for a hint to the actual problem: Use the fact that the inverse of each a(sub_i) exists to construct the inverse of a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n).

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand what the a(sub_i) variable represents in relation to a(sub_1)*a(sub_2)*...*a(sub_n)

It isn't a variable. It is an element of the group. You have an arbitray set of n elements

[tex]a_1,\ldots,a_n[/tex]

and you're asked to find its inverse, which is easy to do in terms of the inverses of the elements [itex]a_i[/tex], i=1,..,n.

1. What is the inverse of a group?

The inverse of a group is an element that, when combined with another element in the group using the group operation, results in the identity element. In other words, it "undoes" the original operation.

2. How do you find the inverse of a group?

To find the inverse of a group, you can use the inverse property, which states that for any element a in a group, there exists an element b such that a * b = b * a = identity element. This can be found by trial and error or by using mathematical techniques such as the Euclidean algorithm.

3. Can every group have an inverse?

No, not all groups have inverses. A group must be closed under the group operation and every element must have an inverse in order for the group to have an inverse. If either of these conditions is not met, the group will not have an inverse.

4. What is the significance of finding the inverse of a group?

Finding the inverse of a group has several applications in mathematics, including solving equations, encrypting and decrypting messages, and understanding the structure and properties of different groups. It is also a fundamental concept in abstract algebra.

5. Is the inverse of a group unique?

Yes, the inverse of a group is unique. This means that for every element in a group, there is only one element that acts as its inverse. This is an important property of groups and allows for consistent and predictable results when performing operations with group elements.