1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the inverse of an element in Q[√2,√3].

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove that [itex]Q[√2,√3] = \{a+b√2+c√3+d√6: a, b, c, d \in Q\} [/itex] is a field.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I proved all axioms except the existence of inverses for nonzero elements. My problem is that multiplication is quite hairy. I ended up trying to invert a 4x4 matrix with letters, which got tedious very quickly and I couldn't finish it. Actually, proving that the determinant is never 0 would be good enough since this would prove linear independence and the existence of a unique solution.

Is there a much simpler method, or do I really have to deal with ugly algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A totally different approach is to calculate the dimension of [itex] Q[\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}][/itex] (or at least an upper bound) as a vector space over Q, and then confirm that you have a linearly independent set of the right size that is spanning your field.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    Well, any element in [itex]Q[√2,√3][/itex] is by definition a linear combination of [itex]1,√2,√3,√6[/itex] over the rationals, so the dimension is at most 4.

Now, to show that [itex]1, √2, √3 [/itex] and [itex]√6[/itex] are linearly independent, I guess I can set up the equation [itex]a+b√2+c√3+d√6=0[/itex]. I will divide the proof in 2 parts.

PART 1
    First, I will show that [itex]1, √2 [/itex] and [itex]√3[/itex] are linearly independent.
    Suppose [itex](*) a + b√2 + c√3 = 0[/itex]. Then:

[itex](b√2+c√3)^2 = a^2[/itex] so [itex]2b^2+3c^2+2bc√6 = a^2[/itex]. Rearranging:
    [itex]2bc√6 = a^2 - 2b^2 - 3c^2[/itex]. But the RHS is rational, so [itex]bc = 0[/itex].

Case I: [itex]b = 0[/itex]
    [itex]a^2 = 3c^2 [/itex] so [itex]a = 0, c = 0[/itex] (since [itex]√3[/itex] is irrational).

Case II: [itex]c = 0[/itex]
    [itex]a^2 = 2b^2[/itex] so [itex]a = 0, b = 0[/itex] (since [itex]√2[/itex] is irrational).

Thus the only solution to [itex](*)[/itex] is [itex]a=b=c=0[/itex], and [itex]1, √2[/itex] and [itex]√3[/itex] are linearly independent over the rationals.

PART 2
    Now it remains to be shown that [itex]√6[/itex] is linearly independent from [itex]1, √2[/itex] and [itex]√3[/itex]. Suppose [itex]a+b√2+c√3 = √6[/itex].
    Then, move [itex]a[/itex] to the RHS and square both sides:
    [itex]2b^2+3c^2+2bc√6 = a^2+6-2a√6[/itex] so
    [itex]a^2-2b^2-3c^2 + 6 = 2(a+bc)√6[/itex]. So [itex]a+bc=0[/itex] (√6 is irrational).
    Replacing [itex]a = -bc[/itex]: [itex]2b^2-b^2c^2+3c^2-6 = 0[/itex]
    Factoring: [itex](c^2-2)(3-b^2) = 0[/itex] which has no solutions in the rationals.

Thus the set [itex]\{1,√2,√3,√6\}[/itex] is linearly independent over the rationals, and the dimension of [itex]Q[√2,√3][/itex] is 4.

Good, this is done! But I don't see how this proves invertibility.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah nuts, I realize now that I bungled my field extension notation (Q(...) vs Q[...] - I thought the intent of the question was to prove that the field Q(sqrt(2),sqrt(3)) was representable as the set on the right) - perhaps my answer isn't applicable for where you are in your class/this specific question. Do you know what the tower theorem for field extensions is?

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5
    Unfortunately not. Also, I might have mistaken the () braces with [] braces. Not sure which should be used.
    To put you in context, this question comes from the exercise set of a chapter dealing with the definition of rings, integral domains and fields (from an intro to abstract algebra book). Field extensions have not yet been mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. Oct 1, 2013 #6
    My guess is that the inverse formula is relatively simple and analogous to that in the field of quaternions. But I don't want to keep guessing how the inverse might look like. A systematic approach would be better.

8. Oct 1, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is a trick that might help to find an explicit formula for the inverse. Note that we can write a general element of ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}]## as
    $$a + b\sqrt{2} + c\sqrt{3} + d\sqrt{6} = (a + b\sqrt{2}) + (c + d\sqrt{2})\sqrt{3} = x + y\sqrt{3}$$
    where ##x = a + b\sqrt{2}## and ##y = c + d\sqrt{2}##. Since ##(x+y\sqrt{3})(x-y\sqrt{3}) = x^2 - 3y^2##, we have
    $$(x + y\sqrt{3})^{-1} = \frac{x-y\sqrt{3}}{x^2 - 3y^2}$$
    Now plug in the values for ##x## and ##y## and simplify.

9. Oct 1, 2013 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No you got the right notation, [ ] means take the ring generated by sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) (which is what you have), ( ) means take the field generated by them (which would make the question silly, but I deformed it slightly in my head to make it reasonable).

If you do get to field extensions and the tower theorem, I recommend coming back to this problem and seeing how much more systematic it becomes.

Anyway, for the straightforward approach I recommend trying
    [tex] \frac{1}{(a+b\sqrt{2}+c\sqrt{3}+d\sqrt{6}} \frac{a-b\sqrt{2}+c\sqrt{3}-d\sqrt{6}}{a-b\sqrt{2}+c\sqrt{3}-d\sqrt{6}} [/tex]

I'm trying to rationalize with respect to sqrt(2) by itself, instead of both at the same time, which is generally a good approach to taking multiple smaller steps against these kinds of problems.

10. Oct 1, 2013 #9
    jbunniii, this is a great idea!
    Now, the denominator [itex]x^2-3y^2[/itex] can only be 0 if [itex]x = y = 0[/itex] since [itex]√3 = \frac{a+b√2}{c+d√2} = \frac{(a+b√2)(c-d√2)}{c^2-2d^2}[/itex] can not happen, which in turn means [itex]a=b=c=d=0[/itex]. Also, since [itex]x^2-3y^2[/itex] is a linear combination of 1 and √2, it can be rationalized and [itex]\frac{x-y√3}{x^2-3y^2}[/itex] is a l.c of 1, √2, √3 and √6.

Office_Shredder:
    I get the following
    [tex]\frac{a-b\sqrt{2}+c\sqrt{3}-d\sqrt{6}}{a^2-2b^2+3c^2-6d^2+2(ac-2bd)\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
    which can also be easily rationalized. Thank you both!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  11. Oct 1, 2013 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that looks good. The other approach you tried, involving the 4x4 matrix, will also work, but as you noted, the calculation is really nasty.

12. Oct 1, 2013 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, the factorization I used illustrates a general principle regarding field extensions.

As you have now shown, ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})## is a field. In fact, it is the smallest field that contains ##\mathbb{Q}##, ##\sqrt{2}##, and ##\sqrt{3}##, because any field containing these items must also contain all linear combinations over the rationals of ##1##, ##\sqrt{2}##, ##\sqrt{3}##, and ##\sqrt{6}##.

Moreover, this field can be constructed in two steps.

First, extend ##\mathbb{Q}## to ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})##, which is the set of all linear combinations of ##1## and ##\sqrt{2}## over the rationals, or equivalently, the smallest field containing ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\sqrt{2}##. Then extend ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## to ##(\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}))(\sqrt{3})##. This is the set of all linear combinations of ##1## and ##\sqrt{3}## over the field ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})##, or equivalently, the smallest field containing both ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## and ##\sqrt{3}##.

Of course, you can also construct it in the reverse order, first extending to include ##\sqrt{3}##, resulting in ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{3})## and then to include ##\sqrt{2}##, resulting in ##(\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{3}))(\sqrt{2})##.

In both cases you get the same field, which justifies the notation ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})## instead of the more cumbersome ##(\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}))(\sqrt{3})## or ##(\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{3}))(\sqrt{2})##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted