1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the limit for this function of two variables

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1

lo2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok I have this function:

[itex]f(x,y)=\sqrt{4xy-3y^2}[/itex]

And then I have to find the limit:

[itex]\lim_{h\rightarrow +0}{\frac{f(h,rh)}{h}}[/itex] Where [itex]r \in [0;\frac43][/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I must admit that I do not really understand the notation of this limit, does it mean that I have to replace x with h and y with rh, and then look at the limit? Or is it some kind of cylindric coordinate system, and if so where is the [itex]\Theta[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi lo2! :smile:
    yes, that's exactly what f(h,rh) means :wink:

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3

lo2

Hey thanks for the help!

I have come up with this answer:

[itex]\lim_{h\rightarrow +0}{\frac{f(h,rh)}{h}}=[/itex] Where [itex]r \in [0;\frac43][/itex]

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{4h^2r-3r^2h^2}}{h}=\frac{h\sqrt{4r-3r^2}}{h}=\sqrt{4r-3r^2}=
    \sqrt{r(4-3r)}[/itex]

So this means that this limit does not depend on h really and that it only depends on the value of r. Would you deem this answer satisfactory?

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, looks fine :smile:

(perhaps you should mention that h > 0, so it's always h, not -h, when you take h2 outside the square-root)

6. Oct 6, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To answer some of the questions in that last paragraph:

Expressing (x, y) as (h, rh), means that x = h, and y = rh. That's a parametric form of y = r x, so that's a line with a slope r that passes through the origin. Therefore, this has nothing to do with cylindrical (nor polar) coordinates.

In my opinion, that's a rather strange limit.

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{h\to 0^+}{\frac{f(h,rh)}{h}}[/itex] is the limit of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{f(x,y)}{x}[/itex] as (x, y) → (0, 0) along a line with slope from 0 to 4/3 .

7. Oct 6, 2012 #6

lo2

Ok thanks! :) Yeah I probably should do that.

Btw if h approaches h from the left (h -> 0-) then the limit would be the negative of what I have found right?

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

right! :smile:

9. Oct 6, 2012 #8

lo2

Thanks Tiny Tim! I am glad you made it through a Christmas Carol ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook