Finding the Limit of a Complex Function

In summary: Suppose ##\epsilon >0## is replaced by ##-\epsilon##, so that##|f(z) - 5i| < -\epsilon##.In this case, the limit would be##\lim_{z \rightarrow -3} (5z+4i) = -15+4i.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

How do I find the limit of a complex function from the definition of a limit? For instance, consider the limit

##lim_{z \rightarrow -3} (5z+4i)##.

Would I simply conjecture that ##5z + 4i## approaches ##5(-3) + 4i## as ##z \rightarrow -3##; and then use the definition of a limit to justify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello everyone,

How do I find the limit of a complex function from the definition of a limit? For instance, consider the limit

##lim_{z \rightarrow -3} (5z+4i)##.

Would I simply conjecture that ##5z + 4i## approaches ##5(-3) + 4i## as ##z \rightarrow -3##; and then use the definition of a limit to justify this?
Yout don't need to use the definition of the limit to find the limit value in this case. Just plug -3 into get the limit, which is -15 + 4i. That's pretty easy; proving it will take a bit more work.

I have another question. In the definition of a limit, why aren't the quantifiers reversed, so that the definition of a limit read ##\exists \epsilon >0## ##\forall \delta >0...##?

[itex]\forall \epsilon > 0: \left \vert {f\left({x}\right) - L}\right \vert < \epsilon[/itex] means "no matter how small the distance between f(x) and L is", i.e., "for any degree of closeness you can think of, no matter how small".

[itex]\exists \delta > 0: 0 < \vert x - c \vert < \delta[/itex] means that I can guarantee you there's a way to get that close. The way you get that close is by making x very close to c, but not actually at c.

Last edited:
I've deleted my earlier post. I misread what Bashyboy wrote, mistakenly thinking that all he did was reverse the order of the quantifiers.

Hmm...It still seems as though it should be reversed. It seems that, no matter how close ##z## gets to ##z_0##, ##f(z)## should also be close to ##L##; that is, for every distance ##\delta## I chose, there should exist a corresponding distance ##\epsilon##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bashyboy said:
Hmm...It still seems as though it should be reversed. It seems that, no matter how close ##z## gets to ##z_0##, ##f(z)## should also be close to ##L##; that is, for every distance ##\delta## I chose, there should exist a corresponding distance ##\epsilon##.
That's not the way to think about it. The goal is not to show that some ##\epsilon## exists - it's to show that it can be made arbitrarily small.

Think of the whole limit business as a dialog between you (the prover) and a skeptic you're trying to convince.

He says, "OK, can you make f(z) within 0.1 of L?"
You say, "Sure, take ##\delta## to be 0.05. Then for every z within 0.05 of z0, f(z) is within 0.1 of L. Are you convinced?"
He says, "Not yet. Can you get f(z) within 0.01 of L?"
You say, "Sure, take ##\delta## to be 0.0025. Then for every z within 0.025 of z0, f(z) is within 0.01 of L. Are you convinced now?"
Finally, he gives up after realizing that no matter what he chooses for ##\epsilon## (this is the ##\forall \epsilon## part) you can find a ##\delta## (the ##\exists \delta## part).

Okay, so I have a another complex limit I am dealing with. Here is my work:

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow (2+4i)} f(z) = 5i##, where ##f(z) = 5i##. Let ##\epsilon >0 ## be arbitrary.

##|f(z) - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|5i - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|5i - 5i + (z-z) + (2-2)| < \epsilon##

##|(5i-z-2) + (z-5i+2)| < \epsilon##

Using the triangle inequality,

##|5i-z-2| + |z-5i-2| < \epsilon##

##|-1 \cdot (z + 2 - 5i)|| + |z-5i-2| < \epsilon##

##|z + 2 - 5i| + |z + 2 - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|z + 2 - 5i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - 2 + 4 - 4i - i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|(z - 2 - 4i) + (4-i)| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - (2 + 4i)| +|4-i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - (2 + 4i)| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} - \sqrt{17}##

If I let ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2} - \sqrt{17}##, isn't possible that it could be negative?

Bashyboy said:
Okay, so I have a another complex limit I am dealing with. Here is my work:

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow (2+4i)} f(z) = 5i##, where ##f(z) = 5i##. Let ##\epsilon >0 ## be arbitrary.

##|f(z) - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|5i - 5i| < \epsilon##
Since f(z) is constant, no matter what ##\epsilon## anyone chooses, you have complete freedom with ##\delta## - any value of ##\delta## will work. None of the work below is necessary.
Bashyboy said:
##|5i - 5i + (z-z) + (2-2)| < \epsilon##

##|-1 \cdot (z + 2 - 5i)|| + |z-5i-2| < \epsilon##

##|z + 2 - 5i| + |z + 2 - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|z + 2 - 5i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - 2 + 4 - 4i - i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|(z - 2 - 4i) + (4-i)| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - (2 + 4i)| +|4-i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - (2 + 4i)| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} - \sqrt{17}##

If I let ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2} - \sqrt{17}##, isn't possible that it could be negative?

And how might one make this argument more rigorous and convincing, as I am not exactly convinced.

Bashyboy said:
And how might one make this argument more rigorous and convincing, as I am not exactly convinced.
f(z) =5i
Prove that ##\lim_{z \to z_0}f(z) = 5i##
Let ##\epsilon > 0## be given.
##|f(z) - f(z_0)| < \epsilon##
##\Rightarrow |5i - 5i| = 0 < \epsilon##
Since ##|f(z) - 5i| < \epsilon## for any choice of z, take ##\delta## equal to whatever you want.

Proofs like this one don't get any simpler than this!

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:

Be careful here. The triangle inequality states ##|a + b| \leq |a| + |b|##
Thus, the right side might be larger in modulus than ##\epsilon##.
Making ##|a| + |b| < \epsilon## not necessarily true.

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that maps complex numbers to other complex numbers. It can be represented in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where z = x + iy is a complex number and u(x,y) and v(x,y) are real-valued functions.

2. What does it mean to find the limit of a complex function?

When we talk about finding the limit of a complex function, we are essentially trying to determine the behavior of the function as the input (z) approaches a particular complex number (usually denoted by a). In other words, we are interested in the value that the function approaches as z gets closer and closer to a.

3. How is the limit of a complex function different from a real-valued function?

The concept of limit is similar for both complex and real-valued functions, but the main difference lies in the way the input approaches the limit point. In a real-valued function, the input approaches the limit point from both positive and negative directions, while in a complex function, the input approaches the limit point from any direction in the complex plane.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the limit of a complex function?

Some common techniques for finding the limit of a complex function include direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and using L'Hôpital's rule. These techniques are similar to those used for real-valued functions, but they are applied to both the real and imaginary parts of the function separately.

5. Why is finding the limit of a complex function important?

The limit of a complex function is an essential concept in complex analysis and is used in various applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It helps us understand the behavior of complex functions and can provide insights into the properties and behavior of a system. Additionally, finding the limit of a complex function is a fundamental step in evaluating derivatives and integrals of complex functions.