1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Limit of a Complex Function

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

How do I find the limit of a complex function from the definition of a limit? For instance, consider the limit

##lim_{z \rightarrow -3} (5z+4i)##.

Would I simply conjecture that ##5z + 4i## approaches ##5(-3) + 4i## as ##z \rightarrow -3##; and then use the definition of a limit to justify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yout don't need to use the definition of the limit to find the limit value in this case. Just plug -3 in to get the limit, which is -15 + 4i. That's pretty easy; proving it will take a bit more work.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    I have another question. In the definition of a limit, why aren't the quantifiers reversed, so that the definition of a limit read ##\exists \epsilon >0## ##\forall \delta >0...##?

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4
    [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0: \left \vert {f\left({x}\right) - L}\right \vert < \epsilon[/itex] means "no matter how small the distance between f(x) and L is", i.e., "for any degree of closeness you can think of, no matter how small".

[itex]\exists \delta > 0: 0 < \vert x - c \vert < \delta[/itex] means that I can guarantee you there's a way to get that close. The way you get that close is by making x very close to c, but not actually at c.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  6. Oct 13, 2014 #5

Mark44

I've deleted my earlier post. I misread what Bashyboy wrote, mistakenly thinking that all he did was reverse the order of the quantifiers.

7. Oct 14, 2014 #6
    Hmm...It still seems as though it should be reversed. It seems that, no matter how close ##z## gets to ##z_0##, ##f(z)## should also be close to ##L##; that is, for every distance ##\delta## I chose, there should exist a corresponding distance ##\epsilon##.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  8. Oct 14, 2014 #7

Mark44

That's not the way to think about it. The goal is not to show that some ##\epsilon## exists - it's to show that it can be made arbitrarily small.

Think of the whole limit business as a dialog between you (the prover) and a skeptic you're trying to convince.

He says, "OK, can you make f(z) within 0.1 of L?"
    You say, "Sure, take ##\delta## to be 0.05. Then for every z within 0.05 of z0, f(z) is within 0.1 of L. Are you convinced?"
    He says, "Not yet. Can you get f(z) within 0.01 of L?"
    You say, "Sure, take ##\delta## to be 0.0025. Then for every z within 0.025 of z0, f(z) is within 0.01 of L. Are you convinced now?"
    Finally, he gives up after realizing that no matter what he chooses for ##\epsilon## (this is the ##\forall \epsilon## part) you can find a ##\delta## (the ##\exists \delta## part).

9. Oct 14, 2014 #8
    Okay, so I have a another complex limit I am dealing with. Here is my work:

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow (2+4i)} f(z) = 5i##, where ##f(z) = 5i##. Let ##\epsilon >0 ## be arbitrary.

##|f(z) - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|5i - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|5i - 5i + (z-z) + (2-2)| < \epsilon##

##|(5i-z-2) + (z-5i+2)| < \epsilon##

Using the triangle inequality,

##|5i-z-2| + |z-5i-2| < \epsilon##

##|-1 \cdot (z + 2 - 5i)|| + |z-5i-2| < \epsilon##

##|z + 2 - 5i| + |z + 2 - 5i| < \epsilon##

##|z + 2 - 5i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - 2 + 4 - 4i - i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|(z - 2 - 4i) + (4-i)| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - (2 + 4i)| +|4-i| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}##

##|z - (2 + 4i)| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} - \sqrt{17}##

If I let ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2} - \sqrt{17}##, isn't possible that it could be negative?

10. Oct 14, 2014 #9

Mark44

Since f(z) is constant, no matter what ##\epsilon## anyone chooses, you have complete freedom with ##\delta## - any value of ##\delta## will work. None of the work below is necessary.

11. Oct 15, 2014 #10
    And how might one make this argument more rigorous and convincing, as I am not exactly convinced.

12. Oct 15, 2014 #11

Mark44

f(z) =5i
    Prove that ##\lim_{z \to z_0}f(z) = 5i##
    Let ##\epsilon > 0## be given.
    ##|f(z) - f(z_0)| < \epsilon##
    ##\Rightarrow |5i - 5i| = 0 < \epsilon##
    Since ##|f(z) - 5i| < \epsilon## for any choice of z, take ##\delta## equal to whatever you want.

Proofs like this one don't get any simpler than this!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  13. Oct 15, 2014 #12

RUber

Homework Helper

Be careful here. The triangle inequality states ##|a + b| \leq |a| + |b|##
    Thus, the right side might be larger in modulus than ##\epsilon##.
    Making ##|a| + |b| < \epsilon## not necessarily true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted