Evaluating cosine function from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##

In summary: But it is more common to say ”integrate a cosine function”.In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a cosine function and whether or not the limits can be changed from -∞ to ∞ to 0 to ∞. It is explained that this can be done because the integrand is even, not because a cosine is involved. It is also mentioned that using the complex equivalent of cos(ax) can make the integration easier. Ultimately, it is concluded that while the terms "evaluate" and "integrate" can be used interchangeably in some cases, it is more common to say "integrate a cosine function".
happyparticle
Homework Statement
Evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)g(x) dx##
where ##f(x) = \cos (ax) , g(x) = e^{-c^2x^2}##
Relevant Equations
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \cos (ax) e^{-c^2x^2} dx##
Hi,
I have some question about evaluating a cosine function from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##.
I saw for a cosine function evaluate from ##-\infty## to ##\infty## I can change the limits from 0 to ##\infty##. I have a idea why, but I can't convince myself, furthermore, is it always the case no matter the cosine function?

Moreover, would it be appropriate to replace ##cos(ax)## for his complex equivalent, thus I will have only 2 exponentials function to deal with.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you mean ”integrating”, not “evaluating”.

You can change limits to 0 to infinity (and multiply the result by 2!) because the integrand is even, not because a cosine is involved. For example ##\cos(x + \pi/2)## is not even.

Yes, you can use the identity with the complex exponential.

Likes happyparticle
Orodruin said:
First, you mean ”integrating”, not “evaluating”.
That was I thought, however in my textbook the term evaluate the integral is used so I choose the word "evaluating". I was wondering if this is similar to integrate.

Thank you for the answer

EpselonZero said:
That was I thought, however in my textbook the term evaluate the integral is used so I choose the word "evaluating". I was wondering if this is similar to integrate.

Thank you for the answer
You evaluate the integral to find its value. You do not evaluate the integrand. Saying ”evaluate an integral containing a cosine function” would be correct.

What is a cosine function?

A cosine function is a mathematical function that calculates the ratio of the adjacent side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse. It is commonly used in trigonometry and has a periodic nature, meaning it repeats its values after a certain interval.

What is the domain and range of a cosine function?

The domain of a cosine function is all real numbers, meaning it can take any input value. The range of a cosine function is from -1 to 1, as the values of cosine can never exceed these limits.

How is a cosine function evaluated?

A cosine function can be evaluated by plugging in a value for the angle in radians into the function and solving for the corresponding ratio. This can be done using a calculator or by using trigonometric identities.

What is the period of a cosine function?

The period of a cosine function is the interval at which the function repeats its values. For a basic cosine function, the period is 2π, meaning the function will repeat its values every 2π radians.

How is a cosine function graphed?

A cosine function is typically graphed on a coordinate plane with the x-axis representing the angle in radians and the y-axis representing the value of cosine. The graph will show a smooth curve that repeats its values every 2π radians.