1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me factorize a quadratic equation in a complex variable

1. Sep 18, 2014 #1
    The equation is: (appears while solving a trigonometric integral using residue theorem)

2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i
    =(2+i)Z2-6Z+(2-i)

The roots are:
    Z1=(2-i) and Z2=(2-i)/5

I can't write the equation in factored form.
    If I simply write it like this:
    {z-(2-i)}{5z-(2-i)}
    It doesn't give the same equation back i.e.
    {z-(2-i)}{5z-(2-i)}=5Z2-12Z+6iZ+3-4i
    which is not the equation that I started with.

Can anyone please write the equation in factored form...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you notice PF has a template ?

In the first place, I don't see an equation. But I suppose you want to solve 2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i = 0 ?

You claim a root is z = 2-i. How do you know ?

Let me give you a hint, anyway: what is 5/(2+i) ?

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The roots 2-i and (2-i)/5 are correct. They are the same as 5/(2+i) and 1/(2+i).

ehild

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

az2+bz+c=a(z-z1)(z-z2)

You forgot the coefficient of z2.

ehild

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dear ehild, what a splurge of posts. Why don't we let poor old Ari contemplate a bit ?

7. Sep 18, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The OP solved the quadratic equation corresponding to the original formula correctly. Why did you try to confuse him?

ehild

8. Sep 18, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh boy, that wasn't the intention. The intention was to let Ari see that a simple multiplication of the coefficients with (2+i)/5 would let the one eq go over into the other.

Maybe it would even have worked! Or does Ari have the feeling I tried to confuse him/her ?

9. Sep 18, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You asked the OP how did he know that 2-i was a solution. Was not it confusing?

ehild

10. Sep 18, 2014 #9
    Thank you for the replies...

Well .. my bad .. that certainly wasn't a good way to ask for help and my equation looked weird. I've bookmarked the guidelines thread .. will refer to it before making a new thread in future. Thank you for that...

And I did get a root that was 5/(2+i) but just wanted to get rid of i in the denominator.

Thank you .. Didn't even realize I was making this mistake. Had completely forgotten that you add the coefficient of Z2 while factorizing a quadratic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted