Finding the limit of lim w-->wo ((exp(w)-exp(wo))/(w-wo))^-1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
thegirl
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
Hi,

I know that when you take this limit it is equal to e^-wo, but I was just wondering how you got there when taking the limit?

lim w-->wo ((exp(w)-exp(wo))/(w-wo))^-1 = 1/e^wo

w and wo are both two points within the same plane.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
there's a better layout of the equation with x and y instead of w and wo
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 21.53.23.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 21.53.23.png
    672 bytes · Views: 578
thegirl said:
Hi,

I know that when you take this limit it is equal to e^-wo, but I was just wondering how you got there when taking the limit?

lim w-->wo ((exp(w)-exp(wo))/(w-wo))^-1 = 1/e^wo

w and wo are both two points within the same plane.
You can evaluate the expression inside the outer parenthese using L'Hopital's Rule.

$$\lim_{w \to w_0} \left(\frac{e^w - e^{w_0}}{w - w_0} \right)^{-1}$$
The above is equal to
$$\frac{1}{\lim_{w \to w_0} \frac{e^w - e^{w_0}}{w - w_0}} $$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: thegirl
Mark44 said:
You can evaluate the expression inside the outer parenthese using L'Hopital's Rule.

$$\lim_{w \to w_0} \left(\frac{e^w - e^{w_0}}{w - w_0} \right)^{-1}$$
The above is equal to
$$\frac{1}{\lim_{w \to w_0} \frac{e^w - e^{w_0}}{w - w_0}} $$
The denominator in the last expression is simply [itex]\frac{d}{dw}e^w[/itex] evaluated at [itex]w=w_0[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: thegirl