Finding the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x--> +infty

  • Thread starter Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
physstudent1
Messages
267
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



I need to find the limit of (x/sqrt(x^2 + 1)) as x goes to infinite for an infinite sequences problem.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I thought I would do L'H rule but I continually get infinite/infinite type does this mean it does not exist?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying the expression by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x (so overall you've just multiplied by x/x=1 and haven't changed the expression). You'll be left with something you can find the limit of without having to use L'Hopital's rule.
 
So I did that and I got 1 / [(x+1)/(x^2)]^(1/2)
 
Last edited:
Right, now simplify everything in the square root sign and you'll find that the equation reduces to something you can easily take the limit of as x-> infinity

Edit: By simplify I mean expand the fraction as two fractions over [itex]x^2[/itex]. Also I believe that you mean [itex]\sqrt{\frac{x^2+1}{x^2}}[/itex]
 
Last edited:
yes I get it now I messed up with one of the x's in the denominator not being squared thanks everyone