1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x--> +infty

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the limit of (x/sqrt(x^2 + 1)) as x goes to infinite for an infinite sequences problem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought I would do L'H rule but I continually get infinite/infinite type does this mean it does not exist?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try simplifying the expression by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x (so overall you've just multiplied by x/x=1 and haven't changed the expression). You'll be left with something you can find the limit of without having to use L'Hopital's rule.
  4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    So I did that and I got 1 / [(x+1)/(x^2)]^(1/2)
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    Right, now simplify everything in the square root sign and you'll find that the equation reduces to something you can easily take the limit of as x-> infinity

Edit: By simplify I mean expand the fraction as two fractions over [itex] x^2 [/itex]. Also I believe that you mean [itex] \sqrt{\frac{x^2+1}{x^2}} [/itex]
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    yes I get it now I messed up with one of the x's in the denominator not being squared thanks everyone
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?