Finding the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x--> +infty

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a given expression as x approaches infinity for an infinite sequences problem. The conversation mentions using L'Hopital's rule and simplifying the expression by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x. The final step is to simplify the expression within the square root sign to easily take the limit as x goes to infinity.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

I need to find the limit of (x/sqrt(x^2 + 1)) as x goes to infinite for an infinite sequences problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would do L'H rule but I continually get infinite/infinite type does this mean it does not exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying the expression by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x (so overall you've just multiplied by x/x=1 and haven't changed the expression). You'll be left with something you can find the limit of without having to use L'Hopital's rule.

So I did that and I got 1 / [(x+1)/(x^2)]^(1/2)

Last edited:
Right, now simplify everything in the square root sign and you'll find that the equation reduces to something you can easily take the limit of as x-> infinity

Edit: By simplify I mean expand the fraction as two fractions over [itex] x^2 [/itex]. Also I believe that you mean [itex] \sqrt{\frac{x^2+1}{x^2}} [/itex]

Last edited:
yes I get it now I messed up with one of the x's in the denominator not being squared thanks everyone

1. What is the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity?

The limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity is equal to 1. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of the expression gets closer and closer to 1.

2. How do you calculate the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity?

To calculate the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity, we can use the limit definition and substitute infinity for x in the expression. This will give us the limit value of 1.

3. What is the significance of finding the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity?

Finding the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the expression at large values of x. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the function's behavior in this limit.

4. Is the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity equal to infinity?

No, the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity is not equal to infinity. As x gets larger, the value of the expression approaches 1, not infinity. This means that the function has a horizontal asymptote at y=1, but it does not approach infinity.

5. Can the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, the limit of x/sqrt(x^2 + 1) as x approaches positive infinity can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule. By taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and substituting infinity for x, we can still get the limit value of 1.