Finding the limits of integration and quadratic formula

In summary, the purpose of finding the limits of integration is to determine the range over which a mathematical operation should be performed. The limits of integration for a quadratic equation can be found by setting the equation equal to zero and solving for the roots using the quadratic formula. Understanding the limits of integration is important for accurate mathematical calculations. The limits of integration can be negative in certain cases, but it is important to choose them in a way that includes all possible solutions. The quadratic formula can only be used for quadratic equations and may not yield real solutions in certain cases, requiring alternative methods to find the limits of integration.
Alexa

Homework Statement

Please look at the photo!

Homework Equations

-x^2+4x=x^2-6x+5

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 2x^2-10x+5 but it says it's wrong

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.12.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.12.09 PM.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexa said:

Homework Statement

Please look at the photo!

Homework Equations

-x^2+4x=x^2-6x+5

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 2x^2-10x+5 but it says it's wrong
I get the same thing as you got. I have no idea why the software says that's wrong.

Maybe the software is dumb and expects the negation of that equation.

1. What is the purpose of finding the limits of integration?

The limits of integration determine the range over which a mathematical operation, such as integration, should be performed. In the context of the quadratic formula, the limits of integration represent the bounds for the roots of the quadratic equation.

2. How do I find the limits of integration for a quadratic equation?

The limits of integration for a quadratic equation can be found by first setting the equation equal to zero and then solving for the roots using the quadratic formula. The resulting values will be the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. Why is it important to understand the limits of integration?

Understanding the limits of integration is important because it allows for accurate and precise mathematical calculations. In the case of the quadratic formula, knowing the limits of integration ensures that the correct roots of the equation are being calculated.

4. Can the limits of integration be negative?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative. In the context of the quadratic formula, the limits of integration may be negative if the roots of the equation are negative numbers. However, it is important to ensure that the limits of integration are chosen in a way that includes all possible solutions of the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the quadratic formula to find the limits of integration?

The quadratic formula can only be used to find the limits of integration for quadratic equations. It cannot be applied to higher order polynomials or other types of equations. Additionally, the quadratic formula may not yield real solutions for certain quadratic equations, in which case alternative methods may need to be used to find the limits of integration.