1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the local minimum of a graph

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question provides a graph and asks for the local minimums. I attached a picture with the graph.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I said the local minima are when x=0,2,5.

However the answer key suggests they are at 1,2,5.
    Could someone please explain why 1 is a local minimum? It is just a point on the graph...
    Maybe the answer key is wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recall how "local minimum" is defined.

ehild

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    So local minimum tells us that a y value near the point is always greater than the y value of the point. That is why we can call it the local minimum. However, in this case the dot is no continuous, so there is no y value near it to compare?

I understand why 0 cannot be a local minimum but I fail see see why 1 can be.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are the y(x) values near to x=1 higher than y(1)? The function does not need to be continuous to have a local minimum.

ehild

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    Ah okay, but what about x=6? Values near it are both lower, isn't that a local minimum then?

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If all values near x=6 are lower than y(6) so y(6) is higher then anything else nearby, is it a minimum???

ehild

8. Nov 7, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, its a local maximum!

9. Nov 7, 2011 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HallsofIvi,

I know that you know it, (and I hope you think that I also know it) but I asked the OP...:wink:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook