Finding the magnetic field due to a current

In summary, to find the magnetic field strength and direction at a point 4.0 cm above a wire carrying 12 A of current, the formula is used: {(1.26E-6 Tm/A)(I)(s x r)} / {(4pi)(r2)}. Where s is the small element of the wire and r is the unit vector towards the point where the magnetic field is required. Assuming an infinitely long wire, the magnetic field strength is calculated to be 6.01E-5 T.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

What is the magnetic field strength and direction at a point 4.0 cm above a wire that carries 12 A of current (the current goes toward the left).

Homework Equations

Magnetic field due to a current = {(1.26E-6 Tm/A)(I)(s x r)} / {(4pi)(r2)}

Note : s x r is a vector cross product and r here should have a hat over it.

The r in the denominator is just a radius.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking at the formula above and I'm not sure what s and r hat are.

Radius I guess would be 4.0 cm, and I think r hat would just be straight down (because doesn't it point from wherever you're calculating the field to the wire?)

But s... I have no idea what that is. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
s is the small element of the wire and r is the unit vector towards the point where the magnetic field is required. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to s and r.

Okay.

So if I take s to be an infinitely small part of the wire, I can find the magnetic field is by taking the equation given above and integrating from neg. infinity to pos. infinity, because no length is given for the wire. I'm just going to assume it's an infinitely long wire.

I did that and I get (1.26E-6)I / (2pi(r))

Plugging in I and r I get the answer as 6.01E-5 T.

Is that right?

Yes. That is right.

1. What is a current and how does it relate to magnetic fields?

A current refers to the flow of electric charge in a circuit. When a current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field due to a current?

The magnetic field due to a current can be calculated using the formula B = µI/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, µ is the permeability of the medium, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. What factors can affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by a current?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a current can be affected by the distance from the wire, the magnitude of the current, and the permeability of the medium. The shape and orientation of the wire can also play a role in the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field due to a current be determined?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field due to a current can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How is the magnetic field due to a current used in practical applications?

The magnetic field due to a current has many practical applications, such as in electromagnets, motors, generators, and in medical imaging techniques like MRI. It is also used in compasses, which rely on the Earth's magnetic field produced by currents in its core.