1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnitude of the force and direction.

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long wire carrying 6.50A of current makes two bends. The bent part of the wire passes through a uniform 0.280T magnetic field directed as shown in the figure and confined to a limited region of space.
    Part A: Find the magnitude of the force that the magnetic field exerts on the wire.
    Part B: Find the direction of the force that the magnetic field exerts on the wire.

here is the link for the figure. http://s16.postimg.org/li2tzpa4l/yg_20_92.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

F=IlB

3. The attempt at a solution

I= 6.50A, B= 0.280T, and l=0.8m(I did the Pythagorean theorem to find the lenght)

F=(6.50A)(0.8m)(0.280T)

F= 1.456N.

I found the force, but I got the answer wrong. Can someone explain where did I go wrong? I'm confuse with this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The length you have is wrong.

80 cm of wire is at a 30° angle to the "horizontal", but there is also some length that is "horizontal" .

Furthermore, the force vectors from those two (or three) segments are not in the same direction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66805&stc=1&d=1392870965.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    ok so I think I figured out how to approach this problem. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted