1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the matrix of a transformation

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the transformation T from R2 to R2 that rotates any vector x through an angle of 45 degrees in the counterclockwise direction. You are told that T is a linear transformation. Find the matrix of T.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A vector with components x1 and x2 should become x 2 and x1, seeing that the transformation should rotate the vector 45 degrees. So therefore, the matrix of the transformation should be:

[0 1]
    [1 0]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The rotation you're describing here is a rotation of 90° counterclockwise, not 45°.

What should T do to x1 = <1, 0> and x2 = <0, 1>?

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, with a 45 degree rotation, any vector on the x-axis (y=0) would rotate to the line y= x while any vector on the y-axis would rotate to the line y= -x. What vectors on those lines have length 1?

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    It should move it half of 90 degrees. But what matrix would achieve that? A matrix that looks like this perhaps:

[0 1/2]
    [1/2 0]

How should you think when you have problems of this sort?

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, the matrix above doesn't work.

I'll ask this again.

7. Oct 20, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which (because I just have to jump in behind Mark44) is much what I asked before: what vector, <x, x>, has length 1? What vector <-x, x>, has length 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook