1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Maximum Fan-Out of a distribution network

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A V_s=5V source, with Thevenin resistance R_s=1kΩ, drives a certain number h(fanout) gates, each of which is modeled as a C_g=100fF load. The gates are driven simultaneously (i.e., in parallel). You are given: V_OL= 1V, V_OH = 4V. Ignore the wire resistance. What is the allowed fanout (h, as a numerical value) such that signals up to 333 MHz can propagate satisfactorily?

2. Relevant equations

Xc = 1/(Cjw) , V=IR , C(total parallel) = C1 + C2 + C3 +...etc

3. The attempt at a solution

My understanding is that the capacity of the fan-out has to do with the current being driven out of the source. Given V_OH which I believe is the minimum output needed to reach state '1' on the gate, the voltage node at the Capacitors in parallel must be equal or greater than V_OH. This is as far as I got, but I am not sure my line of thinking is correct

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's quite right.

The idea is the 1K source takes time to charge the parallel-wired input gates from V_ol to V_oh or the reverse.

Assume the 333 MHz is a square wave. Then your concern is the time to get from V_ol to V_oh and from V_oh to V_ol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted