Finding the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit for a Network with a Load Resistor

In summary, the Thevenin equivalent circuit for the network external to the load resistor ##R_L## is calculated using Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's Voltage and Current Laws. The Thevenin resistance is determined by removing the load resistor and short circuiting the voltage source, while the Thevenin voltage is calculated using superposition. The final Thevenin voltage is found by summing the individual voltage components.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

I just want to check to see if my understanding in anything here has gaps.

Q: Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit for the network external to he load resistor ##R_L##:
thumbnail.jpg

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: ## V = IR ##
Kirchoff's Voltage Law: Σ##V_{drops}## + Σ##V_{gains}## = 0
Kirchoff's Current Law: Σ##I_{closed loop}## = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by redrawing the circuit as best as I could

For the thevenin resistance I removed ##R_L## with an open circuit and then short circuit the 12V source and place an ohm-meter at the open circuit where ##R_L## was removed:
thumbnail (2).jpg

Calculating the thevenin resistance: I get ##R_{th} = ( R_1 // R_2 ) + R_3 = 4.04kΩ##

Placing the ##12V## source back in and calculating the thevenin voltage ##V_{th}## would be the voltage drop across the resistor ##R_2##.

Using superposition I can determine the effects each voltage source has on ##R_2##
starting by shorting out the ##4V## source I get the network on the left
thumbnail (1).jpg

Since there is an open circuit where ##R_L## was removed current will not flow through that branch and I can calculate ##I'## by using KVL:
Σ##V_{drops}## = Σ##V_{gains}##: ## -12V + I_1R1 + I_1R2 = 0 ## ##I_1## => ##I_1'R_2## => ##V_{th}' = 8V##

Now removing the 12V Source ##E_1## and seeing that ##E_2## is in parallel with ##R_2## I can automatically determine ##V_th##'' to be ##E_2 = 4V##

From superposition: ##V_{th} = V_{th}' + V_{th}''## ##V_th = 8V + 4V = 12V##

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 573
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 441
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct.

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that can be used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit. It consists of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor, and has the same output voltage and current as the original circuit.

2. How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

To calculate a Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to determine the equivalent resistance of the original circuit by finding the total resistance between the two terminals where the output voltage is measured. Then, the equivalent voltage can be found by taking the voltage drop across the equivalent resistance. The equivalent circuit will have the same output voltage and current as the original circuit.

3. Why is a Thevenin equivalent circuit useful?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is useful because it simplifies a complex circuit into a single voltage source and resistor, making it easier to analyze and design. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and can help predict the behavior of the circuit in different scenarios.

4. What are the limitations of using a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

One limitation of using a Thevenin equivalent circuit is that it is only applicable to linear circuits. It also assumes that the internal resistance of the voltage source is negligible, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the equivalent circuit may not accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit in certain situations.

5. How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit used in practical applications?

Thevenin equivalent circuits are commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in electronic troubleshooting. They can also be used to simplify complex circuits in order to make them easier to understand and teach in educational settings. Additionally, Thevenin equivalent circuits are used in power systems and communication systems to model the behavior of real-world circuits.