Finding the Mean Number of Screams on a Roller Coaster Ride

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
the7joker7
Messages
111
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The density function for the number of times the riders scream on a roller coaster is given by ...

f(x) = [tex]\frac{1}{3\pi}[/tex](1 - cos(2x)) if 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 3[tex]\pi[/tex]
and 0 otherwise.

Find the mean number of screams over the course of the ride.

The answer: 4.71238898038

Homework Equations



None, unless integration is done by hand, in this case it doesn't have to be.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried taking a several different integrals and never got close to that answer. I tried taking the integral of that function from 0 to 3[tex]\pi[/tex], I tried putting an x in front of the function, I had it read in degrees and radians, i took out the 1/3pi at the start...just anything I could think of and nothing was close to the answer. Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of the density function? [tex]\frac{\mbox{screams}}{\mbox{unit length}}?[/tex]

And over what length of track are you supposed to take it over?
 
Last edited:
The answer, 4.71238898038, is [tex]\frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex].

Does that help?
 
the7joker7 said:
It's not given.

which?

edit:

Is it possible you were supposed to find the mean over the length of track from [tex]x\in \left[0,\frac{4}{3\pi}\right][/tex]?
 
Last edited:
the7joker7 said:
The units, and length.

In that case, I think you should see if your teacher forgot something.