1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the median of a distribution

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose X has the Uniform (0,1) distribution. Find the median of the distribution of e^X correct to 2 decimals.

2. Relevant equations
    F(X) = 0.5
    F(X) = ∫f(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not entirely sure what to do here, I know to find the median you need to find when F(X) = 0.5. I assumed that e^X was just the cdf f(x) = e^X which makes F(x) still e^X.

So then I used e^(X) = 0.5 which gives X = ln(0.5).

However this is not correct. I am a bit confused about the first part of the question, how X being a uniform distribution would affect it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you think about it a bit, this can't be right, since X would have to be a negative number. If X ranges from 0 to 1, then e^X will range from ? to ?

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3
    I found the answer to be e^0.5, but im not sure exactly why. Do we find the median of the uniform distribution of X (0.5) and then plug that into e^(X)? Or do I need to find the median of the distribution between 1 and e? If it's the latter, how do we know that the median is simply e^(0.5)? Are we able to say this because X is a uniform distribution?

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4
    I found the answer to be e^0.5, but im not sure exactly why. Do we find the median of the uniform distribution of X (0.5) and then plug that into e^(X)? Or do I need to find the median of the distribution between 1 and e? If it's the latter, how do we know that the median is simply e^(0.5)? Are we able to say this because X is a uniform distribution?

6. Feb 8, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##Y = e^X##, the cumulative distribution of ##Y## is ##F(y) = P(Y \leq y) = P(e^X \leq y)##. For ##X \sim U(0,1)##, what does this give you for ##F(y)##? What is the solution of ##F(y) = 1/2##? That would give you the median.

7. Feb 8, 2015 #6
    I am unsure of how to continue after
    For ##X \sim U(0,1)##, what does this give you for ##F(y)##? Am I supposed to see that X = ln(y) or am I supposed to see that Y ~ U(1,e)? Or am I missing something altogether?

8. Feb 8, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Some risk of confusion in the notation. That X = ln(Y) is self evident, so I'm assuming your question is why x' = ln(y'), x' and y' representing the medians of the respective distributions.
    As Ray wrote, for any x, the event Y < ex is the same event as X < x. Therefore FY(ex) = FX(x). Setting x=x' we get FY(ex') = 0.5.
    That is certainly not the case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted