Finding the minimum value that an expression can take.

In summary, the conversation was about a paper discussing why power is maximized in a component when its resistance R_L equals the internal resistance R. In part (5) of method 1, the minimum non-negative value for the expression k+k^-1 needed to be found. The method used an inequality, (k-1)^2 ≥ 0, which was then expanded and rearranged to get k+k^-1 ≥ 2. The question was about the process of coming up with the inequality and whether it can be generalized. It was explained that any quadratic inequality, such as (k-n)^2 ≥ 0, can be used to find the minimum value, k+n^2/k ≥ 2n. The conversation concluded
HuaYongLi
I've recently come across a http://technologyinterface.nmsu.edu/Spring08/" for why power is maximised in a component when its resistance [tex]R_L[/tex] equals the internal resistance [tex]R[/tex].
But in part (5) of method 1, we need to find the minimum non-negative value that the expression [tex]k+k^-^1[/tex] can take. For this they use the inequality [tex](k-1)^2 \geq 0[/tex] and then expand it to [tex]k^2-2k+1 \geq 0 [/tex] which is then in turn divided by [tex]k [/tex] and rearranged to get [tex]k+k^-^1 \geq 2[/tex]
The problem I have grasping is the part where they come up with the inequality to solve this problem. This is a step I have never come across, and I was wondering if this method had a name.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you asking a physics question, i.e. where did the question about k + 1/k come from?
The math proof ( ≥ 2) is simple enough (assuming k > 0).

Maths

Use that the arithmetic mean is larger than the geometric mean.

HuaYongLi said:
Maths

(k-1)2 ≥ 0

expand quadratic

k2 -2k + 1 ≥ 0

divide through by k (need k > 0)

k - 2 + 1/k ≥ 0

add 2 to both sides

k + 1/k ≥ 2

HuaYongLi said:
I've recently come across a http://technologyinterface.nmsu.edu/Spring08/" for why power is maximised in a component when its resistance [tex]R_L[/tex] equals the internal resistance [tex]R[/tex].
But in part (5) of method 1, we need to find the minimum non-negative value that the expression [tex]k+k^-^1[/tex] can take. For this they use the inequality [tex](k-1)^2 \geq 0[/tex] and then expand it to [tex]k^2-2k+1 \geq 0 [/tex] which is then in turn divided by [tex]k [/tex] and rearranged to get [tex]k+k^-^1 \geq 2[/tex]
The problem I have grasping is the part where they come up with the inequality to solve this problem. This is a step I have never come across, and I was wondering if this method had a name.

Thanks
If you're asking where the initial inequality comes from, any real number squared is always greater than or equal to zero. That's the reason for saying [itex](k-1)^2 \geq 0[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but is this a matter of just thinking of a quadratic inequality that when manipulated will give desired terms k and 1/k?

HuaYongLi said:
Yes, but is this a matter of just thinking of a quadratic inequality that when manipulated will give desired terms k and 1/k?

The last two replies seem to make it as clear as possible. It is a trivial derivation. What don't you get?

I know the inequality can be used to find the minimum and how to manipulate it. My problem is how to actually come up with an inequality that will be of use in the first place, say I have [tex](k-2)^{2}\geq0[/tex] - it's not going to be useful for our purposes when manipulated. Well, obviously one can see that the first (k-1) inequality will be the one to choose. I want to know whether this can be generalised for any quadratic inequality where you want to find not just x is more than/less than a; but x and another non constant term.
It just seems to me that some steps are being skipped in the paper.

You can generalize with (k-n)2 ≥ 0 to get k + n2/k ≥ 2n.

Where it might be used I don't know.

Thank you, I've gotten what I need to know.

1. What is the definition of the minimum value of an expression?

The minimum value of an expression is the smallest possible result that can be obtained when all variables in the expression are substituted with real numbers.

2. How do you find the minimum value of an expression?

To find the minimum value of an expression, you can use calculus techniques such as differentiation and solving for the critical points. Alternatively, you can graph the expression and identify the lowest point on the graph.

3. Can an expression have more than one minimum value?

Yes, an expression can have multiple minimum values. This can occur when the expression has multiple local minimum points or when the minimum value is reached at different intervals on the graph.

4. What is the importance of finding the minimum value of an expression?

Finding the minimum value of an expression is important in optimization problems where you want to minimize a certain quantity. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the expression and identifying critical points.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the minimum value of an expression?

One limitation of finding the minimum value of an expression is that it may not always be possible to obtain an exact value. In some cases, you may only be able to approximate the minimum value using numerical methods or make a reasonable estimate based on the expression's behavior.