Finding the momentum operator matrix of the harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding the matrix representation of the momentum operator in a one dimensional harmonic oscillator potential. The necessary equations and concepts, such as the potential, Schrodinger equation, and energy eigenstates, are mentioned. The attempt at a solution is then described, which involves using the creation and annihilation operators to find the matrix elements. It is noted that the diagonal elements are zero and there are two off-diagonal elements per stationary state. The conversation ends with a confirmation that the operators do not commute.
GuitarDean

Homework Statement

Given a particle is confined in a one dimensional harmonic oscillator potential, find the matrix representation of the momentum operator in the basis of the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

Potential: V(x) = 0.5 m w^2 x^2 where m is the mass of the particle and w is the angular frequency

Schrodinger equation: H |psi> = E |psi> where H is the Hamiltonian operator, E are its eigenvalues (or the energies of the system), and |psi> are its eigenvectors (or the stationary states of the system).

E = h w (n + 0.5) where h is the reduced Planck constant, w is the same as in V(x), and n = 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

|psi> = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator#Hamiltonian_and_energy_eigenstates (look under topic 1.1: Hamiltonian and energy eigenstates)

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a question on my midterm exam, and I had absolutely no clue how to tackle it. I still don't. It won't be necessary to do the algebra, but can someone just sketch out the method of obtaining the solution for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody feel free to tell me I'm crazy...

We know the momentum operator can be represented in terms of the creation/annihilation operators as
[tex]\hat{p}=i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}} \left(\hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a} \right)[/tex]

so we can find the matrix representing [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] in the usual way of inner products. To wit:
[tex]A_{m,n} = \left<m\right|i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}} \left(\hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a} \right)\left|n\right> = i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega}{2}}\left[ \left<m\right|\hat{a}^\dagger\left|n\right> - \left<m\right|\hat{a}\left|n\right> \right][/tex].

You can see from here that the diagonal elements are zero, since [tex]\hat{a}\left|n\right> \propto \left|n-1\right>[/tex] and [tex]\hat{a}^\dagger\left|n\right> \propto \left|n+1\right>[/tex]. In fact, you would expect to have two off-diagonal elements per stationary state [tex]\left|j\right>[/tex], one corresponding to [tex]\left|j-1\right>[/tex] and one corresponding to [tex]\left|j+1\right>[/tex]. I suppose this implies a measurement of [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] yields a linear combination of stationary states (but don't quote me on that one), which would make some sense if [tex]\left[\hat{H},\hat{p}\right] \neq 0[/tex] (don't remember if they do...).

Tom

Last edited:
Yep, that's how you do it.

tshafer said:
which would make some sense if [tex]\left[\hat{H},\hat{p}\right] \neq 0[/tex] (don't remember if they do...).

Tom

That is correct. H and p don't commute since the creation and annihilation operators don't commute.

1. What is the momentum operator matrix of the harmonic oscillator?

The momentum operator matrix of the harmonic oscillator is a mathematical representation of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics. It describes how the momentum of a particle changes over time in a harmonic oscillator system.

2. How is the momentum operator matrix derived?

The momentum operator matrix is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the properties of the harmonic oscillator potential. It involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the momentum operator in the harmonic oscillator potential.

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator matrix in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator matrix is a fundamental tool for describing the dynamics of a particle in a harmonic oscillator system. It allows us to calculate the probability of a particle having a certain momentum at a given time.

4. Can the momentum operator matrix be used to solve the Schrödinger equation?

Yes, the momentum operator matrix is one of the key components in solving the Schrödinger equation for a harmonic oscillator system. It is used in conjunction with the Hamiltonian and position operator matrices to determine the wave function of the system.

5. How is the momentum operator matrix applied in real-world scenarios?

The momentum operator matrix is applied in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and particle physics. It is used to study the behavior of particles in a harmonic oscillator potential, which has implications in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.