1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the nth term of the maclaurin's expansion of sqrt(1+x)

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[SOLVED] Finding the nth term of the maclaurin's expansion of sqrt(1+x)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the nth term of the Maclaurin's expansion of [itex]\sqrt{1+x}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so far I've expanded and gotten

[tex]\sqrt{1+x}=1+\frac{x}{2}-\frac{x^2}{2!4}+\frac{3x^3}{3!8}-\frac{15x^4}{4!16}+\frac{105x^5}{5!32}[/tex]

so far I've gotten that part of the nth term should be

[tex]\frac{x^n}{n!2^n}[/tex]

but what I do not know is how to deal with the + and - signs as well as the numbers in th numerators...please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2
    (-1)^n should cover the + and -
    as for the numbers, I can't help you. I'm tired. I'll be back after I work on it.

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you know the pattern for the numerators. You just don't know the name for it. Look up double factorials written n!!.

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

But the (-1)^n doesn't work for the 2nd term or after

6. Oct 30, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know what, I'll give you an answer. (-1)^n*(2n)!/((1-2n)*(n!)^2*4^n). I didn't work that out, I looked it up because I got annoyed with the problem. Notice the (1-2n) in the denominator changes signs between n=0 and n=1 cancelling the sign change from the (-1)^n. Getting one formula that works for all n can be more of an art than a science. I would consider it perfectly legit to write 1+x/2-x/8+... and then give a formula for the nth term after the first few. It could probably be written more simply than the one fits all version.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?