Finding the pdf and cdf of this function

Homework Statement

Let ##X## have the pdf ##f_X(x)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{\dfrac{-(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}## where ##-\infty<x<\infty,-\infty<\mu<\infty,\sigma>0##. Let ##Z=g(X)=\frac{X-\mu}{\sigma}##. Find the pdf and cdf of ##Z##[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I noticed that ##X## has a normal distribution. I get for the cdf of ##Z## is ##P((\dfrac{x-\mu}{\sigma})\leq t) ## ##=P(x-\mu\leq t\sigma)=P(x\leq\mu+t\sigma)=F_Z(\mu+t\sigma)=\int_{-\infty}^{\mu+t\sigma} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{\dfrac{-(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}} dx##. The pdf of ##Z## I get that ##f_z(x)=F'_Z(t)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{\dfrac{-(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}} *\sigma##. Not sure if im on the right track. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You need to change from "x" to "z"! Yes, you are given that the pdf for x is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}} e^{\frac{-(x- \mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}=[/tex][tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}} e^{\frac{\left(\frac{x- \mu}{\sigma}\right)^2}{2}}[/tex][tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}}[/tex]

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I get that ##f_z(x)=F'_Z(t)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{\dfrac{-(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}} *\sigma##. Not sure if im on the right track. Thanks.

Note that the ##\sigma## cancels the ##\sigma^2## under the square root.

You need to change from "x" to "z"! Yes, you are given that the pdf for x is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}} e^{\frac{-(x- \mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}=[/tex][tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}} e^{\frac{\left(\frac{x- \mu}{\sigma}\right)^2}{2}}[/tex][tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}}[/tex]
And there should be no ##\sigma## here.