Finding the Percentage of a Sphere Immersed in Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter kswoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sphere Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
kswoff
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
So I'm in a general physics class and the teacher asked us to find the percentage of a sphere immerses in water and I can't seem to figure out how to find the percentage. I was wondering if there's an equation to use or what to find the answer. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
When you get stuck like this, try thinking of a similar situation you do know the answer to.

Hint: you know ice floats approximately 90% submerged? (nine-tenths)

What is the density of ice divided by the density of liquid water?
What is that as a percentage?
 
Okay that makes sense. In this same question, it asks to draw a free body diagram to find all the forces. I only found the buoyant force and the gravity force and those don't allow me to have two densities. So did I do the FBD wrong and I'm missing some forces or do I rearrange archimedes' principle to substitute another density? Hope this makes sense.
 
I'm assuming so that way I can solve for the percentage.
 
So if you have a buoyant force in your free body diagram, that accounts for the two densities right?