Finding the Potential (Kirchoff's Law)

In summary, the conversation was about a circuit problem involving Kirchoff's Voltage Law and finding the potential at point Q. The solution involved using loop laws and determining the voltage difference between points P and Q. The final potential at point Q was either -13 or 7, depending on the layout of the resistors in the circuit.
Xarvist

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/i8Bg

Homework Equations

V=IR
ƩV = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting behind the left EMF source I sum the potential changes using Kirchoff's Voltage Law
150V - R2I - 50V - R1I = 0
Solving for I, I get 20Amps

However I know this can't be right because the potential at point Q is 97V
and after traversing the circuit, the potential according ot the calculated I is 110 Volts..

Can someone perhaps show me step-by-step to do problems like these?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xarvist said:

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/i8Bg

Homework Equations

V=IR
ƩV = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting behind the left EMF source I sum the potential changes using Kirchoff's Voltage Law
150V - R2I - 50V - R1I = 0
Solving for I, I get 20Amps

However I know this can't be right because the potential at point Q is 97V
and after traversing the circuit, the potential according ot the calculated I is 110 Volts..

Can someone perhaps show me step-by-step to do problems like these?

Note that there is no Earth connected to this circuit, so no point on the circuit is necessarily at 0 V.

If the current flows anti-clockwise, the potential goes up 150 as you pass through the left battery, drop 40 or 60 through the bottom resistor [having trouble which resistor is which - one you start to reply the picture of the circuit is gone], drop another 50 going "backwards" through the ideal battery on the right, then another 60 or 40 through the top resistor.
So I think P should be at -13 or 7 depending which resistor was the 2Ω and which was the 3Ω

PeterO said:
Note that there is no Earth connected to this circuit, so no point on the circuit is necessarily at 0 V.

If the current flows anti-clockwise, the potential goes up 150 as you pass through the left battery, drop 40 or 60 through the bottom resistor [having trouble which resistor is which - one you start to reply the picture of the circuit is gone], drop another 50 going "backwards" through the ideal battery on the right, then another 60 or 40 through the top resistor.
So I think P should be at -13 or 7 depending which resistor was the 2Ω and which was the 3Ω

Okay I understand everything but the very end. What calculations did you do to get those two numbers?

Using loop laws you can get the above answer ! join PQ by arbitrary line and can calculate the voltage difference between points P and Q using Loop law.

Xarvist said:
Okay I understand everything but the very end. What calculations did you do to get those two numbers?

As I said, as soon as I start answering the post, I no longer have access to the circuit diagram. I remembered that the 150V battery was on the left and the 50V battery was on the right. I didn't remember which resistor was on the top and which was on the bottom. I do know there is a 60v drop across the 3Ω resistor and 40V drop across the 2Ω. Depending which one was top/bottom determines whether Q is at -13 [110 below], or 7 [90 below] point Q.
I figured you would be able to work out which one - as you ahve the original circuit, and a greater need to solve the problem.

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Law, is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that describes the behavior of electrical circuits. It consists of two laws: Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL).

2. What is Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node (or junction) in an electrical circuit must equal zero. In other words, the total current flowing into a node must be equal to the total current flowing out of that node.

3. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in an electrical circuit must equal zero. In other words, the sum of voltage drops (or increases) in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage gains (or decreases).

4. How do Kirchoff's Laws help in finding the potential in a circuit?

Kirchoff's Laws provide a systematic method for analyzing complex electrical circuits and determining the unknown voltages and currents. By applying KCL and KVL to a circuit, we can create a set of equations that can be solved to find the potential at any point in the circuit.

5. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and combination circuits. They are also applicable to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits.