1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the potential of a charged, solid sphere using the charge density

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solid ball of charge with radius R and volume charge density ρ(r) = ρ0r2, centred at the origin.

I have already found the electric field for r<R and r>R and also the potential at the origin by using the formula:
    V = -∫E.dl

Now i want to find the potential at the origin using the charge density but am at a loss for the first step

2. Relevant equations

V = (1/4∏ε)∫(ρ/r)d[itex]\tau[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't need the full solution, just the first step would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2
    Find the potential at the center due to a thin shell of charge and then integrate over all the shells in the ball?

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just evaluate the integral. Or is there something specific about the integral you don't understand?

5. Aug 13, 2012 #4
    Yes i'm unsure of what my limits are in this case and what d[itex]\tau[/itex] is equal to

6. Aug 13, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The volume element ##d\tau## will depend on which coordinate system you choose to use. To calculate the potential at a point, you integrate over all space, but really you only need to worry about where the charge density ##\rho## doesn't vanish because everywhere else won't contribute to the integral.

7. Aug 14, 2012 #6
    So would the integral from 0 to R work if d[itex]\tau[/itex] = r2sinθdrdd[itex]\phi[/itex] ?

8. Aug 14, 2012 #7
    Is V = ρ0R4 / 4ε0 the answer to this problem?

9. Aug 14, 2012 #8
    V = [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex][itex]∫^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]∫^{\pi}_{0}[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]∫^{R}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{ρ_{0}r^{2}}{r}[/itex] r[itex]^{2}[/itex]dr

Solving this:

V= [itex]\frac{ρ_{0}R^{4}}{4\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]
    I'm quite happy with this answer, but if it is incorrect please let me know.
    Thanks for the help

10. Aug 14, 2012 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I haven't worked it out, but your method looks fine. Does it match the answer you got using the previous method?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook