Finding the radius of a satellite

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a satellite's orbit based on its mass and the force of gravitational attraction between the satellite and the Earth. The solution involves equating the formulas for the force of gravity for two different satellites and solving for the unknown radius. The correct solution is rb = √6r.
Solitary Nut
Just realized how horrible the thread title is. Sorry, I meant the radius of a satellite's *orbit*

Homework Statement

Two satellites revolve around the Earth. Satellite A has mass m and has an orbit of radius r. Satellite B has mass 6m and an orbit of unknown radius rb. The forces of gravitational attraction between each satellite and the Earth is the same. Find rb.
Express your answer in terms of r.

Homework Equations

F=(G(m1m2))/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = F2, where F1 and F2 are the forces of gravity acting on satellite A and B, respectively.

I equated the formulas for the force of gravity for both satellites because the information given states they are equivalent. I then negated every variable I could - G, m, andmearth, leaving r and rb. It looked like this:

1/r = 6/rb

So I multiplied r and rb into the numerators, getting rb=6r. I don't see what I did wrong here, but clearly it isn't right. Please help set me on the right path, and thanks for at least taking the time to read all of this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Solitary Nut said:

The Attempt at a Solution

F1 = F2, where F1 and F2 are the forces of gravity acting on satellite A and B, respectively.

I equated the formulas for the force of gravity for both satellites because the information given states they are equivalent. I then negated every variable I could - G, m, andmearth, leaving r and rb. It looked like this:

1/r = 6/rb

So I multiplied r and rb into the numerators, getting rb=6r. I don't see what I did wrong here, but clearly it isn't right. Please help set me on the right path, and thanks for at least taking the time to read all of this :)
Check your algebra:

[tex]GMm_a/r_a^2 = GMm_b/r_b^2[/tex]

does not reduce to 1/ra = 6/rb where mb = 6ma

AM

Gah, I see. Radical(6)r

Thanks a lot for your help

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a satellite?

The formula for finding the radius of a satellite is: r = √(GM/4π^2), where r is the radius, G is the universal gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body.

2. How do you calculate the mass of the central body?

The mass of the central body can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation: M = (4π^2r^3)/GT^2, where M is the mass, r is the radius, G is the universal gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period of the satellite.

3. What is the significance of finding the radius of a satellite?

Finding the radius of a satellite is important for understanding the orbit and trajectory of the satellite. It also helps in determining the stability and longevity of the satellite's orbit.

4. How does the radius of a satellite affect its orbit?

The radius of a satellite directly affects its orbit by determining the distance from the central body. A larger radius means a larger distance, resulting in a longer orbital period and a slower orbital velocity. A smaller radius means a shorter distance, resulting in a shorter orbital period and a faster orbital velocity.

5. Can the radius of a satellite change over time?

Yes, the radius of a satellite can change over time due to external factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pulls from other objects, and changes in the central body's mass. However, for most satellites in stable orbits, the radius remains relatively constant.