Finding the Radius of Convergence for a Series with Exponential Growth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mathmos6
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Hi there - I'm trying to work out the radius of convergence of the series [itex]\sum_{n \geq 1} n^{\sqrt{n}}z^n[/itex] and I'm not really sure where to get going - I've tried using the ratio test and got (not very far) with [itex]lim_{n \to \infty} | \frac{n^{\sqrt{n}}}{(n+1)^{\sqrt{n+1}}}|[/itex], and with the root test, [itex]\left( {lim sup_{n \to \infty} n^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}}}\right) ^{-1}[/itex], neither of which seem to help me =/

I have a strong feeling the latter converges to 1 but even if I'm right I'm not totally sure how to prove it, and I may well be wrong. What should my next move be?

Thanks a lot!

Mathmos6
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't give up so fast on the root test. What IS the limit n->infinity n^(1/sqrt(n))?
 
I'm guessing 1, but I'm not sure how to prove it?
 
Mathmos6 said:
I'm guessing 1, but I'm not sure how to prove it?

Take the log to turn it into a quotient. Try to find the limit of the log. Now you can use things like l'Hopital's theorem.