1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the real and imaginary part

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the real part, the imaginary part, and the absolute magnitude of the following expressions:
    tanh(x-ipi/2)
    cos(pi/2-iy)

2. Relevant equations
    cos(x) = e^ix+e^-ix
    tanh(x) = (1-e^-2x)/(1+e^-2x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    for cos(pi/2-iy)= (e^(ipi/2-i^2(y))+e^(i^2(y)-ipi/2))/2
    =0.5(e^ipi/2*e^-i^2y + e^i^2y*e^-ipi/2)
    =0.5(ie^y+e^-y*-i)
    =0.5i(e^y-e^-y)
    therefore, imaginary = 0.5(e^y-e^-y)
    and real = 0

for tanh(x-ipi/2) = (1-e^-2(x-ipi/2))/(1+e^-2(x-ipi/2))
    after simplifying i get
    (1+e^-2x)/(1-e^-2x)
    so that ^ is the real part
    and imaginary = 0

I'm not really sure if im doing this right though, or if i have to somehow simplify these expressions to get the answer. If so, how would I solve the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

It's simpler to note that ##\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - iy\right) = \sin(iy)##.

There's a sign error here, otherwise, your final answers are correct -- it's a lot easier if you write it in terms of a hyperbolic trig function.

That's correct too. Can you write that answer in terms of a hyperbolic trig function?

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3
    i cant find the sign mistake that you're referring to. and yes, the second one would be coth(x)

5. Nov 9, 2013 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

My apologies, no sign error. Looks correct to me.

6. Nov 9, 2013 #5
    Alright thanks, as for finding the absolute magnitude, would the expressions above simply be the answer?
    if absolute mag = |a + bi| = sqrt(a^2 +b^2)= sqrt(0^2+0.5(e^y-e^-y)^2) =0.5(e^y-e^-y)
    for the second = sqrt(coth(x)^2) = coth(x)

7. Nov 9, 2013 #6

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I'm not convinced about that. ##\sinh(x)## and ##\coth(x)## can take on negative values, can they not?

8. Nov 9, 2013 #7
    So it's just going to be the + and - values of the above? Since you're taking the square root of it.

9. Nov 9, 2013 #8

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Yes (for positive and negative arguments). Either way, ##|\coth(x)| = \coth(x)## and ##|\sinh(x)| = \sinh(x)## definitely do not hold true for all x! It's best to either leave it in absolute value form or define your function separately for different values of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted