Finding the resistance of the halved rod

In summary, a 1.50 m cylinder with a radius of 1.10 cm has a resistivity that varies with distance according to the formula ρ(x) = a + bx^2. At the left end, the resistivity is 2.25x10^-8 Ωm and at the right end it is 8.50x10^-8 Ωm. The resistance of the entire rod is 1.71x10^-4. The electric field at the midpoint carrying a 1.75 A current is 1.76x10^-4 V/m. The resistance of the left half of the rod is 5.4677x10^-5 and the resistance of the right half
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A 1.50 m cylinder of radius 1.10 cm is made of a complicated mixture of materials. Its resistivity depends on the distance x from the left end and obeys the formula ρ(x) = a + bx^2, where a and b are constants. At the left end, the resistivity is 2.25x10^-8 Ω m, while at the right end it is 8.50x10^-8 Ωm.

A) What is the resistance of this rod?

B) What is the electric field at its midpoint if it carries a 1.75 A current?

C) If we cut the rod into two 75.0 m halves, what is the resistance of each half?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved parts A and B by doing the following:

A) R = ρL/A

First I found the constants a and b by solving for them, which I found to be:

a = 2.25x10^-8 Ωm
b = 2.78x10^-8 Ωm

A = πr^2
A = 3.8013x10-4 m2

Taking the integral of the Resistance equation gave me:

1/A*(ax + bx3/3)

I then took the integral from 0 to 1.50m, thereby giving me:

(1/3.801299x10-4)*3.38x10-8*1.50 + 2.78x10-8*1.53/3
= 1.71x10-4

This I know to be correct.

B)

∫E.dl = V
dV/dx = d/dx(IR)

1.75/A*(a + bx2)

Plugging in 0.75 for x gave me

E = 1.76x10^-4 V/m

This is also correct

C) This is where I'm stuck. I had thought that if I used the integral in part A to find the integral from 0 to 0.75 then that would be my resistance in the left hand side. Then I thought that I could subtract the left hand value from the value I found in part A to give me the right hand value, but this hasn't worked. My workings are as follow:

R = ρL/A

A = 3.8x10^-4 m2

Rleft hand1/A*(2.25x10^-8)(0.75) + (2.78x10^-8)(0.75^3/3)
= 4.43966x10^-5

Then Rright hand = 1.71x10^-4 - 4.43966x10^-5 = 1.266x10^-4

Unfortunately, this did not work and I' not sure what else to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you've ended up with the value you did for the left had side resistance; The numbers in the formula look okay, but the calculated result does not. Calculator finger problems?

Yes, I've just gotten the right answer. The correct calculation is as follows:

I know that the Resistance of the entire (1.50m) rod is 1.71x10^-4

Thus I used the integral form part A to calculate the value of R from 0 to 0.75, which gave me 5.4677x10^-5. This is the Resistance of the left hand piece of rod. I then subtracted this value from the resistance of the entire rod, thereby giving me a resistance of 1.16323x10^-4 for the right hand rod.

Thanks for your help. Sorry to waste your time.

1. How do you determine the resistance of a halved rod?

To find the resistance of a halved rod, you will need to measure its length, cross-sectional area, and resistivity. Then, use the formula R = (ρ * L)/A, where R is resistance, ρ is resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

2. What is the purpose of finding the resistance of a halved rod?

Finding the resistance of a halved rod can help determine its conductivity and how well it can conduct electricity. It can also be used to calculate the power dissipation and voltage drop in a circuit that includes the halved rod.

3. How does the resistance of a halved rod compare to that of a whole rod?

The resistance of a halved rod will be double that of a whole rod with the same dimensions and material. This is because the cross-sectional area of a halved rod is half of the whole rod, leading to a higher resistance.

4. Can you use the same formula to find the resistance of any halved object?

Yes, the formula R = (ρ * L)/A can be used to find the resistance of any halved object, as long as you have the necessary measurements of length, cross-sectional area, and resistivity.

5. How does the resistivity of the material affect the resistance of a halved rod?

The resistivity of a material is a constant that determines how well it can conduct electricity. A material with a higher resistivity will have a higher resistance, while a material with a lower resistivity will have a lower resistance, regardless of the dimensions of the halved rod.