A conducting rod makes contact with rails to complete a circuit. If the rails are 50 cm apart ina uniform magnetic field B = 0.38 [T] directed out of the paper. The total resistance of the circuit is R = 9 [ohms] and is constant.
1) what is the magnitude and direction of EMF induced in the rod when it is moved to the left with a speed of 5 m/s
2) what force is required to keep the rod in motion (without acceleration)
3) how long would it take the rail to come to a stop?
4) what distance would it travel in that time?
e = Blv
I = e/R
F = ILB
The Attempt at a Solution
1) e = Blv = 0.38 * 0.5 * 5 = .95 V
2) I = e/R = 0.95 / 9 = 0.106
F = 0.106 * .5 * .38 = 0.2N
I need help on number 3 and 4