Finding the resistance when a 60W lamp is in series with a resistor and 120V source

  • Thread starter Thread starter arod2812
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resistance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
arod2812
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 60-W lamp is placed in series with a resistor and a 120-V source. If the voltage across the lamp is 35-V, what is the resistance (R) of the resistor?


Homework Equations


I am pretty sure I am using the right equation, but I am not getting the right answer. What am I doing wrong?


The Attempt at a Solution


P=IV --> 60W=I(120V) --> I=-.50 A
R=V/I --> (120V-35V)/.5A = 170 ohms (this is what I calculated but it isn't the right answer)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Voltage across the lamp is 35V, so that in P=VI,V=35 for the lamp.

Current through the lamp = P/V =60/35
 
A lamp rated as 60W would dissipate 60W when connected directly to the 120V supply -- when you add a resistor in series with it, it no longer dissipates 60W.

- Warren