Finding the restoring force, Hooke's Law

In summary, Hooke's law describes the behavior of a light spring with an unstretched length of 35.0cm. When a 7.50kg object is hung from one end, the spring's length increases to 41.5cm. The spring constant is found to be 1130N/m. In a situation where two people pull on the ends of the spring with a force of 190N each, the length of the spring can be calculated using the equation f1+f2=kx, with the spring constant remaining constant.
h8ligan

Homework Statement

Hooke's law describes a certain light spring of unstretched length 35.0cm. When one end is attached to the top of a door frame and a 7.50kg object is hung from the other end, the length of the spring is 41.5cm. a) Find its spring constant. b)The load and spring are taken down. Two people pull in opposite directions on the ends of the spring, each with a force of 190N. Find the length of the spring in this situation.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the spring constant in a) and it was 1130N/m which I am unsure if it is the same for b. The real problem is I can't figure out how I am supposed to find the restoring force. My thoughts seem to think that because they are pulling in opposite directions at the same force then the net force would be zero and therefore so would the restoring force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine pulling on a spring attached to a wall. Now imagine pulling on the spring in part B.

Ok so then it would stretch, and would be double? What about the spring constant would it remain the same?

h8ligan said:
Ok so then it would stretch, and would be double? What about the spring constant would it remain the same?

For the purposes of what we're doing, the spring constant is always constant.

If one pulls on a mounted spring, the spring has a force f=kx. If two people pull on the spring there are now two forces. f1+f2=kx.

Okay, thank you I believe I got it :)

What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to finding the restoring force?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting deformation. It states that the restoring force of an object is directly proportional to the amount of deformation caused by the force.

What is the equation for finding the restoring force using Hooke's Law?

The equation for finding the restoring force is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of deformation. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law.

How is Hooke's Law used in real-world applications?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of springs, shock absorbers, and elastic materials. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, geology, and biology.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the restoring force using Hooke's Law?

The accuracy of calculating the restoring force using Hooke's Law can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the object, the precision of the measuring instruments, and external factors such as temperature and pressure.

How can Hooke's Law be experimentally verified?

Hooke's Law can be experimentally verified by conducting a series of experiments where an object is subjected to different forces and the corresponding deformation is measured. The results should show a linear relationship between the force and deformation, confirming Hooke's Law.