1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the resultant force on the block

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all, ive been given a question for homework and im not 100% sure how to do it exactly!
    I have included a diagram or the situation

2. Relevant equations
    The question is Find the resultant force on the block (picture attached)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What i did was, split it into 2 right angled triangles and used trig to determine the resultant force. do i add the two together to get the resultant force?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If adding vectors at right angles you can use pythagorous

c2 = a2 +b2

to work out the magnitude.

Try drawing the 20N vector as if it was attached to the other end of the 48N vector.

4. Aug 8, 2012 #3
    so the resultant is the line that would connect the two vectors?

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

As you have drawn them, the tail of one is connected to the tail of the other.

To perform a vector addition:
    you translate one of the vectors, (i.e., using a sliding transformation) so that the tip of one arrow connects to the tail of the other. Then you draw a third arrow from the tail of that combo to its tip, and this third arrow represents the vector sum of that pair. Use your knowledge of trig to find its length. (As a check: if you draw them accurately to scale and preserve angles, your calculated value should agree with your measured value.)

6. Aug 9, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook