1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the roots of a polynomial with complex coefficients?

1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    z2-(3+i)z+(2+i) = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Does the quadratic formula work in this case? Should you deal with the real and complex parts separately?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does algebra work with complex numbers? For complex numbers, do we have ##a+b = b+a##, ##a b = b a##, ##a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c##, ##a(bc) = (ab)c##, ##a(b+c) = ab + ac##, and ##a+0 = a##, ##a 1 = a##? If so, then all the steps leading to the quadratic solution go through without change to the case of complex coefficients. In fact, in the derivation of the quadratic solution formula there was no mention of whether or not the coefficients were real.

Of course, when you need to express the final answer in the form ## A + iB## with real ##A,B## you might need to simplify something like
    $$\frac{-(2+3i) \pm \sqrt{(2+3 i)^2 - 4 (5-2i)(7+6i) }}{2 (5-2i)}$$
    and that will take some work. However, all the work before that is not changed by things being complex.

For practice, solve the example case ##z^2 - (3+i) z + (2+i) = 0## you started with.

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3
    Great, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted