1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Voltage graph from current graph of capacitor

Tags:
  1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given the current flowing through a 2 micro-farad capacitor in the form of a graph, and I need to create a voltage graph from this.

2. Relevant equations
    I = C dv/dt
    Q = VC

3. The attempt at a solution
    The current graph is basic with a constant 4 mA from 0 to 4 microseconds and then -1 mA from 4 to 7 microseconds. I am a bit confused on how to proceed. Is the right way to go finding the total charge at each time interval, and then plugging into the Q = VC formula to find the voltage? So then the total charge would be the area under the current vs time graph? With this I am getting a voltage graph that has a constant positive slope until 4 microseconds, and then a smaller negative slope for the next 3 microseconds, Does this sound about right? Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You are given the i-t relationship of the capacitor. You'll need to plot it on paper. What is the i-v relationship i.e. how would you write voltage across capacitor as a function of its current?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    Would the formula for the i-v relationship be v = c/(it)?

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

No. You have i=Cdv/dt. This equation is in differential form. What should be done so that you'll get it as v as a function of i?

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Would you try to integrate both sides? With that wouldn't you end up with the equation Q = VC? This is the part where I'm confused

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Right.
    V=(1/C)∫i dt.
    You have i(t), don't you? Integrate it between the given time intervals and find V as a function of time.
    You do not need to take ∫i dt as Q.

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7
    Okay, so with the numbers I gave above, i(t) would just be equal to .004A from 0 to 4 microseconds, making V(t) = (1/C) * .004t, and then the same for the next time interval, does that look right? Thank you for your help

9. Jan 31, 2016 #8

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes. You can plot it accordingly. It will be a triangular wave (not symmetric).

10. Jan 31, 2016 #9
    Great, I understand now. Thank you very much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted