1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Finding the smallest positive solution to trig equation

Tags:
  1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    I have the equation ##\sin 3x = \cos 7x##, and, in degrees, I have to find the smallest positive solution.

Immediately, we can see that sin and cos are equal if their arguments are complements, so ##3x + 7x = 90##, which means that ##x = 9##.

I know that that is a correct solution, but how do I show that it is, in fact, the smallest positive solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2
    I would do it this way:
    sin(x)=cos(x) if x=45 degrees. Of course, you knew that and could then get the correct solution. However, you are missing one part -- x=45+180n degrees where n is an integer. If you are looking for the smallest possible x, n would have to be zero.

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

An interesting problem. Since the angles are both in the first quadrant, I think you clearly have the smallest x. To prove it might take a little work, but it would take more effort to find the second smallest or 3rd smallest. (Solving the equivalent ## \sin(3x)=\sin(90-7x) ##, trigonometric identities allow 360 degrees to be input into either side and you have essentially the same equation ) e.g. If ## 3x=360+(90-7x) ## so that ## 10x=450 ## then x=## 45 ##. I found another solution, but is it the second smallest? editing... You can also add 720 or other multiples of 360 to either side, or you can do ## 180-\theta ## to either term inside the sine function without changing the equation...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. Aug 13, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

A follow-on to post #3: Overlaying a graph of y =sin(3x) and a graph of y=cos(7x) is perhaps the quickest way to see the (approximate) solutions of this problem. It will show you that your x=9 is the smallest x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted