Finding the smallest positive solution to trig equation

In summary, the problem is to find the smallest positive solution in degrees for the equation ##\sin 3x = \cos 7x##. By recognizing that sin and cos are equal when their arguments are complements, we can solve for x and get the correct solution of x=9. To show that this is the smallest solution, we can use trigonometric identities and graphing techniques to confirm that there are no smaller solutions in the first quadrant.
Mr Davis 97
I have the equation ##\sin 3x = \cos 7x##, and, in degrees, I have to find the smallest positive solution.

Immediately, we can see that sin and cos are equal if their arguments are complements, so ##3x + 7x = 90##, which means that ##x = 9##.

I know that that is a correct solution, but how do I show that it is, in fact, the smallest positive solution?

Likes Charles Link
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would do it this way:
sin(x)=cos(x) if x=45 degrees. Of course, you knew that and could then get the correct solution. However, you are missing one part -- x=45+180n degrees where n is an integer. If you are looking for the smallest possible x, n would have to be zero.

An interesting problem. Since the angles are both in the first quadrant, I think you clearly have the smallest x. To prove it might take a little work, but it would take more effort to find the second smallest or 3rd smallest. (Solving the equivalent ## \sin(3x)=\sin(90-7x) ##, trigonometric identities allow 360 degrees to be input into either side and you have essentially the same equation ) e.g. If ## 3x=360+(90-7x) ## so that ## 10x=450 ## then x=## 45 ##. I found another solution, but is it the second smallest? editing... You can also add 720 or other multiples of 360 to either side, or you can do ## 180-\theta ## to either term inside the sine function without changing the equation...

Last edited:
A follow-on to post #3: Overlaying a graph of y =sin(3x) and a graph of y=cos(7x) is perhaps the quickest way to see the (approximate) solutions of this problem. It will show you that your x=9 is the smallest x.

1. What is a trig equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These functions involve angles and are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. Why is finding the smallest positive solution important?

Finding the smallest positive solution to a trigonometric equation is important because it allows us to determine the smallest angle that satisfies the equation. This can be useful in solving real-world problems or in simplifying solutions to more complex equations.

3. What techniques can be used to find the smallest positive solution?

There are several techniques that can be used to find the smallest positive solution to a trigonometric equation. These include using the unit circle, solving algebraically, using graphing calculators, and applying trigonometric identities.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding the smallest positive solution?

One common mistake when finding the smallest positive solution is forgetting to check for multiple solutions. Often, trigonometric equations have multiple solutions, so it is important to check all possible solutions to find the smallest positive one.

5. Can the smallest positive solution be negative?

No, the smallest positive solution to a trigonometric equation cannot be negative. The word "positive" implies that the solution must be greater than zero. If a negative solution is obtained, it is likely that there was an error in solving the equation and the solution should be checked again.