1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the solutions of a complex number

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the 3 solutions of ei[tex]\pi[/tex]/3z3=1/(1+i)

2. Relevant equations
    ei[tex]\theta[/tex]=cos([tex]\theta[/tex])+isin([tex]\theta[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

i have put i/(1+i) into polar form,1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] ei[tex]\stackrel{\pi}{4}[/tex]

So i get z3 = [tex]\stackrel{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]ei-[tex]\pi/12[/tex]

Then i got stuck... z3=r3ei[tex]\theta[/tex]

So shouldn't r3=1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]=-[tex]\pi[/tex]/36 ..but that's only 1 solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    well.
    if [itex]z^3=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-\frac{i \pi}{12}}[/itex]
    then [itex]z=(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})^{\frac{1}{3}} e^{-\frac{i \pi}{36}}[/itex]

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    but that is only one solution and it asks for 3

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4
    You can add any multiple of 2 pi i to theta.

6. Jan 8, 2010 #5
    ahh, of course. thank you!

7. Jan 8, 2010 #6
    Note that for unique solutions, you need to add [tex]n\cdot 2\pi i[/tex] to the exponent of the complex number describing [tex]z^3[/tex]

Otherwise you're just describing the same number over and over!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. Jan 8, 2010 #7
    haha, oh yea.
    where do you get n2/pi i from?

9. Jan 8, 2010 #8
    That's how much you need to add to the angle of the exponent, [tex]r e^{i\theta}[/tex] so that you get the same value.

[tex]re^{i\theta}=re^{i(\theta+2\pi)}[/tex]

You can easily see this using Euler's identity since the sine and cosine both have a period of [tex]2\pi[/tex] radians.

When you take the cube root, you use De-Moivre and divide the angle by 3. Note that you get different angles depending on whether you add [tex]2\pi[/tex] once, twice, or three times to the original exponent's angle.

10. Jan 9, 2010 #9
    yes i should have mentioned that. sorry.

11. Jan 9, 2010 #10
    so the final answer is [tex]\stackrel{n2\pi}{3}[/tex]? i think i just misread your post as [tex]\stackrel{2n}{\pi}[/tex] or something :)

12. Jan 10, 2010 #11
    well, is [itex](\frac{2n \pi}{3})^3=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-\frac{1 \pi}{12}}[/itex]?

go to my first line of working in post 2, the other two solutions will correspond to [itex]e^{-\frac{25 i \pi}{12}}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-\frac{49 i \pi}{12}}[/itex].
    then of course, you have to do the division by 3 etc as before to get to the final answer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook