1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Spring Constant - Help! Algebra Issues!

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    Finding the Spring Constant -- Help! Algebra Issues!

Molecular bonds can be treated like springs. From the vibrational frequencies of the bonds, one can determine the appropriate spring constants. Hydrogen, H2, has a vibrational frequency of 1.3192 X 1014Hz. Deuterium, D2, is an isotope of hydrogen and is twice as massive as hydrogen. It has a vibrational frequency of 0.9345 X 1014Hz. Do these molecules have the same spring constant? Explain.

I used the equations

T=2pi * square root m/k
    F = 1/T

From the second equation, I got T=1/F. Since I know F of both bonds, I can find T.

For H2, T = 7.58X10^-15 and for D2 T= 1.07X10^-14.

mass for H2 is just m and mass for D2 is 2m

I plugged all these expressions into T=2pi*square root m/k, and isolated k, and got H2 to equal 6.87X10^29 and D2 to be 6.896X10^29. So they are only about .03 off which I think is pretty close to having pretty much the same spring constant. What I had problems with, was I am not sure whether I did the correct algebra for isolating k. Also, does it seem like I am approaching this problem correctly? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Your approach looks okay, and the solution should be too, under the assumption you did the algebra correctly and plugged in the appropriate masses of the isotopes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?