Finding the Sum of a Series: n/2^n

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spark15243
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Spark15243
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the sum of the series.

Summation (n/2^n)
from n = 1 to inf

Homework Equations



Summation (x^n) = 1/1-x

The Attempt at a Solution



n/2^n
n*(1/2)^n

Not sure what this equals after this... I was thinking (1/1-0.5) but that is a guess.
There are other ones like this, i have no idea how to do them, so any help on how to start and/or finish them will be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you covered uniform convergence of series?
 
I...don't know. Ik that the terms themselves converge to zero, but I don't know how to calc the sum...
 
Differentiate Summation(x^n)=1/(1-x). Put x=1/2.
 
This is what I had in mind, but don't we need uniform convergence to justify differentiating under the sum?

I remember doing this problem w/o this trick a year ago. It involved rearanging the series if my memory serves me right.