1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the sum of inverse trigonometric expression

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find ## \sum_1^{23} tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}) ##
    2. Relevant equations
    ## tan^{-1}x + tan^{-1}y = tan^{-1}(\frac{x+y}{1-xy} )##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think we have to split the question in a form of relevant equation given above.
    First thing what should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

In order to use the identity you have been given, you want to get the term [itex]\frac{x+y}{1-xy}[/itex] into the form of [itex]\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}[/itex]. This requires that you find x and y in terms of n. Do you see a way to do this?

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    Yes but it is by trial and error method.
    1/(n2+n+1) can be written as (n+1-n)/(1+n(n+1))
    Now it is seperatable.

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One possibility is to apply the equation in (2) recursively: If ##t_k = 1/(k^2+k+1)##, let ##T_n = \sum_{k=1}^n \arctan(t_k) \equiv \arctan(S_n)##. Then ##S_1 = t_1## and $$S_k = \frac{S_{k-1}+t_k}{1-S_{k-1} t_k}$$
    for ##k = 2, \ldots, 23##.

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

An easier way is to see that in order for the forms to be the same, we must have x+y=1. Then solve for y in terms of x and substitute into 1-xy = n^2+n+1. Then solve for x, then y.

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Raghav Gupta ,
    Use this method suggested by phyzguy together with the difference identity:
    ##\displaystyle\ \tan^{-1}x - \tan^{-1}y = \tan^{-1}(\frac{x-y}{1+xy} )\ ## .​

8. Apr 20, 2015 #7
    It's getting quadratic.
    I am getting ## x = \frac{1 ± \sqrt{1+4n^2 + 4n}}{2} ##
    following both of you @phyzguy and @SammyS

9. Apr 20, 2015 #8

phyzguy

Science Advisor

OK, keep going. 1+4n^2+4n is a perfect square, so you can take the square root and simplify it further. There are two solutions for x and y, but you will see they are really the same solution, with x and y interchanged.

10. Apr 20, 2015 #9
    Thanks, got it.
    Sorry @Ray Vickson for not following your method, as I am not so acquainted with it.

11. Apr 20, 2015 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem: whatever works for you is fine by me.

However, just to clarify (in case you did not understand): one way of computing ##T_{23} = \sum_{k=1}^{23} \arctan(t_k)## is to compute the successive sums. Let ##T_2 = \arctan(t_1) + \arctan(t_2) = \arctan(S_2)## (using the equation in (2) to find ##S_2##), then ##T_3 = \sum_1^3 \arctan(t_k) = T_2 + \arctan(t_3) = \arctan(S_2) + \arctan(t_3) = \arctan(S_3)##, where we find ##S_3## in terms of ##S_2## and ##t_3## from equation (2). If you keep going like that you can find ##T_4, T_5, T_6, \ldots, T_{23}##.

12. Apr 20, 2015 #11
    The mood is not coming for solving by this method.
    Will see it later if required. Although thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted