1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the total production of oil given a rate.

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Oil is flowing from a well in a continuous stream at a rate of
    f(t) =54/(t + 3)^2 barrels per month (in multiples of 100). Find
    the total oil produced by the well in its second
    three months of operation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Answer choices are 300, 250, 350, 450, 400.
    Now, I found the problem worded strangely, but here goes. f(t) is a derivative, so I took the integral of f(t) and got -54/(t+3). The question asks for how much is produced in its second three months, so I took that as 6 months total. Plug in 6 for t and get -6 barrels. But it is in multiples of 100, so 600 barrels produced in the 6 months? So if its asking for oil produced in its "second three months of operation", then in those three months it produced 300 barrels? I hate the wording of the question, and that is the only way I could interpret it and get an answer choice that was provided. Your thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    I take "second three months" to mean between t=4 and t=6 (where the first three are t=1 to t=3, though it's ambiguous enough that it could be between t=0 and t=2). So you evaluate the definite integral

[tex]\int_4^6\ f(t)\ dt[/tex]

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would integrate 5400/(t+3)^2 for t=3 to t=6. So I'd probably say 300 as well. But not quite for the reasons you give.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook