How much money did the soda machines generate during the second semester?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Momentum09
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a West Texas school district the school
year began on August 1 and lasted until May
31. On August 1 a Soft Drink company in-
stalled soda machines in the school cafeteria.
It found that after t months the machines
generated income at a rate of
f(t) =
500t/ (5t^2 + 2)
dollars per month. Find the total income,
$Tsec, produced during the second semester
beginning on January 1.


Homework Equations



I know to find the income we first have to find the integral for the function t. I did this and got 50 ln [5x^2 +2].
I set u = 5t^2 +2, so du = 10t dt

The Attempt at a Solution



I used 6 as my upper limit and 1 as my lower limit but I can't get the right answer. Can someone please tell me what is the right limit of integration to use in this case?
Thank you so much for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits are a little off. Why did you use 6? The machine was functioning for 5 months from Aug 1 to Jan 1 the next year. And it's not supposed to be 0 either for the lower limits. That ignores the revenue for the first month.