1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the total translational KE of 1kg of Neon

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    • posters are reminded that readibility requirs that working be presented as text or Latex, not in handwriting
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 11.54.56.png
    The screen shot I have attached is the original question, I think I'm ok up until the Ne part.
    My answer just seems like a ridiculous number, I haven't had much experience with this so don't really know what an 'normal' KE for 1kg of gas would be.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    12528286_10153692093695935_1950578055_o.jpg
    Hopefully it's clear what I've done. The solution to the first part (deriving and expression for the mean translational KE...) is the equation I start with, if that is wrong then please let me know.
    EDIT - have just realised I put the final answer as 5.49.... it should be 2.49.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2
    The translational kinetic energy per mole is 3/2 RT for any ideal gas.
    Neon is quite light, so there are many moles in a kilogram.

4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    Yes there are 50 moles. Do you think my answer is correct then? :)

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4
    Avoid calculating with numbers that are so large or small that you do not have any intuition for it.
    The basic number to remember is the gas constant, 8.3 joule per mole per kelvin. That way you can be more confident about your answer.

6. Jan 15, 2016 #5
    Ok, thanks for your advice :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted