Finding the unitary matrix for a beam splitter

In summary, the author has trouble understanding how to construct the matrix for the beam splitter (in a Mach-Zehnder interferometer). They started by deciding their input and output states for the photon, and used Borns rule to get the following:To get the following for the state space of the photon going in:But in the end, they ended up with a matrix that didn't appear unitary. They don't know where they're going wrong, and would appreciate any help and advice.
phb1762
Homework Statement
(a) Construct the matrix for a beam splitter with a 70% reflectivity.
(b) By applying this operation twice, calculate the output state of a single photon in the input. Hint: the second beam splitter can be oriented in two different ways.
Relevant Equations
1) Born rule for bipartite states ( as there are 2 possibilities for input and two probabilities due to the 70:30 beam splitter)
2) ket space equations
Hello,
I have some trouble understanding how to construct the matrix for the beam splitter (in a Mach-Zehnder interferometer).

I started with deciding my input and output states for the photon.

I then use Borns rule, which I have attached below:

To get the following for the state space of the photon going in:

But in the end, I end up with a matrix that doesn't appear unitary:

I don’t know where I’m going wrong. We’ve only just started doing Quantum and the lectures are quite difficult for me to understand. I would appreciate any help and advice as I really would like to be able to do these types of questions as I suspect they will be in my exam!

Thanks everyone in advance and sorry for the many photos!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Think again about what happens at BS1 when coming in from the top.

I really don’t understand where I’m going wrong, I thought that going in from the top should be inverse of the going in from the left?

If only BS1 is present, coming in from the top, was is the probability that the outcome is right?

Ah, so something like this:

phb1762 said:
Ah, so something like this:
Yes. You can check now that ##U_\mathrm{BS}## is unitary.

DrClaude said:
Yes. You can check now that ##U_\mathrm{BS}## is unitary.
Thank you so much for your time, that was very helpful!

Without looking at it in detail, if it is a dielectric beamsplitter with an anti-reflection (AR) coating on one side, the Fresnel coefficients for the reflectivity will be ##\rho= \pm \sqrt{.70} ## and the transmission (composite) will be ## \tau=\sqrt{.30} ## for both paths. The matrix method is simply a way to express the linear transformation that occurs with the Fresnel coefficients for the electric field amplitudes of the electromagnetic wave for transmitted and reflected components.
I was unaware of the matrix method for beamsplitters (developed by Schwinger) when I wrote this Insights article: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/fabry-perot-michelson-interferometry-fundamental-approach/
If you can follow the article, you will then understand what the matrix method does.

What is a unitary matrix for a beam splitter?

A unitary matrix for a beam splitter is a mathematical representation of a beam splitter that describes how it transforms an incoming beam of light into two outgoing beams. It takes into account the angle of incidence and the reflectance and transmittance of the beam splitter.

Why is finding the unitary matrix for a beam splitter important?

Finding the unitary matrix for a beam splitter is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of light when it passes through a beam splitter. It can also help us design and optimize optical systems that use beam splitters.

How do you calculate the unitary matrix for a beam splitter?

The unitary matrix for a beam splitter can be calculated by using the Jones calculus, a mathematical method commonly used in optics. This involves considering the polarization state of the incoming and outgoing beams, as well as the properties of the beam splitter itself.

What factors can affect the unitary matrix for a beam splitter?

Several factors can affect the unitary matrix for a beam splitter, including the angle of incidence of the incoming beam, the angle of the beam splitter, and the properties of the beam splitter material, such as its reflectance and transmittance. Additionally, any imperfections or irregularities in the beam splitter can also impact the unitary matrix.

Can the unitary matrix for a beam splitter be used for other types of light besides visible light?

Yes, the unitary matrix for a beam splitter can be used for other types of light, such as infrared or ultraviolet light. However, the properties of the beam splitter material and the specific wavelengths of light may need to be taken into account in order to accurately calculate the unitary matrix.