1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the value of pi/4 using Fourier series

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function f(x) is defined by:

[itex]f(x) = -1[/itex] when [itex]\pi < x <0[/itex] and [itex]0[/itex] when [itex]0<x<\pi[/itex]

Show that [itex]\sum^{∞}_{0}\frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1}=\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Fourier series for a function of period [itex]2\pi[/itex] [itex]= a_{0} + \sum^{∞}_{1}a_{n}cos(nx) + b_{n}sin(nx)[/itex]

[itex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}cos(nx)dx[/itex]

[itex]a_{n}=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)cos(nx)dx[/itex]

[itex]b_{n}=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)sin(nx)dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

f(x)=0 between 0 and pi, so I can ignore that interval in all of the integrals and integrate from -pi to pi.

Doing this, I get [itex]a_{0}=-1/2[/itex] and [itex]a_{n}=0[/itex].

Then I do [itex]b_{n}=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{0}-sin(nx)dx=\frac{1}{\pi}[\frac{1-cos(n\pi)}{n}][/itex] since f(x)=-1 in the relevant interval.

[itex]\frac{1}{\pi}[\frac{1-cos(n\pi)}{n}]=\frac{1}{\pi}[\frac{1-(-1)^{n}}{n}]=\frac{2}{\pi(2n+1)}[/itex]

I plug this value of [itex]b_{n}[/itex] into the Fourier series, I get [itex] -1/2 + \sum_{0}^{∞}\frac{2}{\pi(2n+1)}sin(nx)[/itex].

I can turn this into a series similar to the alternative harmonic series by letting [itex]x=3\pi/2[/itex], giving me [itex]-1/2 + \sum_{0}^{∞}\frac{2(-1)^{n}}{\pi(2n+1)}[/itex]. Now the missing piece is showing that this is equal to 0, which I don't know how to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2
    But your original function is not defined when [itex]x=3\pi/2[/itex].

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3
    Oh, sorry, I forgot to add that [itex]f(x+2\pi)=f(x)[/itex]

5. Jun 17, 2013 #4
    Well then, what is f(3π/2)?

6. Jun 17, 2013 #5
    Ah, right. 0. I got caught up thinking about what sin(nx) was doing instead of f(x). Embarrassing! Thanks though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted