Finding the Velocity of a Spaceship Using Special Relativity

In summary, the spaceship travels at a constant velocity of 2.5 years per light year. It took 2.5 years for the clocks on the spaceship to measure the time it took to travel to the star. The velocity of the spaceship was found by solving for ΔT0 and L0 in terms of v and c.
cjkent

Homework Statement

A spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured
by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship
and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the
spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by
clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years

i) Calculate the velocity of the spaceship.

There are other parts but I think once I find the velocity I should be able to do them

Homework Equations

I'm not sure exactly if it's using Lorentz transformations or just time dilation/length contraction. In any case here are those formulae:

ΔT=γΔT 0
L=L 0 /γ

Δx ′ =γ(Δx−vΔt)
Δt ′ =γ(Δt−vΔx/c 2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set the distance from Earth to the star as the standard length, L 0, and the time taken as measured by the spaceship to be ΔT. To find the velocity I then tried to find either ΔT 0 or L to substitute into v =Δx/Δt but to compute both I needed the velocity for γ.

Of course I tried it algebraically, solving for v but ended up with a polynomial I couldn't solve. I can post the working if necessary but I have a feeling I've made a more fundamental error with my reference frames which are still confusing me a bit.

Please help me physicsforums, you're my only hope!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Start by relating distance speed and time, all in the Earth frame.

cjkent said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured
by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship
and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the
spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by
clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years

i) Calculate the velocity of the spaceship.

There are other parts but I think once I find the velocity I should be able to do them

Homework Equations

I'm not sure exactly if it's using Lorentz transformations or just time dilation/length contraction. In any case here are those formulae:

ΔT=γΔT 0
L=L 0 /γ

Δx ′ =γ(Δx−vΔt)
Δt ′ =γ(Δt−vΔx/c 2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set the distance from Earth to the star as the standard length, L 0, and the time taken as measured by the spaceship to be ΔT. To find the velocity I then tried to find either ΔT 0 or L to substitute into v =Δx/Δt but to compute both I needed the velocity for γ.

Of course I tried it algebraically, solving for v but ended up with a polynomial I couldn't solve. I can post the working if necessary but I have a feeling I've made a more fundamental error with my reference frames which are still confusing me a bit.

Please help me physicsforums, you're my only hope!

If you know Δt and Δt', then you know γ. Or, using the Lorentz Transformation, in the spaceship frame S', Δx' is zero. This, of course, gives Δt' = Δt / γ.

Thanks so much guys for the speedy replies.

Doc Al said:
Hint: Start by relating distance speed and time, all in the Earth frame.

Is that not just v=L/T where the L and T were both measured in the Earth frame?
(forgive the notation I'm trying to be consistent with those in the other equations)

@chestermiller
But I don't have Δt do I? Only the time as measured on the spaceship.

cjkent said:
Is that not just v=L/T where the L and T were both measured in the Earth frame?
Yes, that's all it is. Now express T in terms of the spaceship time (which was given).

doc al said:
yes, that's all it is. Now express t in terms of the spaceship time (which was given).

t= t'γ

Edit: and then I subbed that into v=L/t giving v=L/(t'γ)

but then γ=1/ √(1−(v^2 /c^2))

Last edited:
cjkent said:
t= t'γ
Good. Now combine those into a single equation. The only unknown will be v.

Doc Al said:
Good. Now combine those into a single equation. The only unknown will be v.

Yep sorry as I was tryng to edit on my last post I did that giving v=L/(t'γ)

but then γ=1/ √(1−(v^2 /c^2)) which is dependant on v

Thanks again for the help. I hope this isn't just me being incredibly dense.

cjkent said:
Yep sorry as I was tryng to edit on my last post I did that giving v=L/(t'γ)
Good.
but then γ=1/ √(1−(v^2 /c^2)) which is dependant on v
Sure. Good thing v is what you want to find.

Hint: Square both sides of your equation.

Doc Al said:
Good.

Sure. Good thing v is what you want to find.

Hint: Square both sides of your equation.

Got it now great! For some reason when I tried this earlier I got t and t' muddled in the time dilation equation so then when I progressed I got (v^4)/(c^2) + v^2 etc and couldn't solve it. My final answer came to be 0.92c which seems reasonable and checks out fine.
Thanks for being patient and helping out.

ps. I'm still kicking myself

can i ask a question,if i did all the calculations in the spaceship's frame,i had v=0.70c,why is it wrong?

jianghan said:
can i ask a question,if i did all the calculations in the spaceship's frame,i had v=0.70c,why is it wrong?
What exactly did you do?

Doc Al said:
What exactly did you do?

i assumed v=kc,therefore distance as measured by spaceship=6√(1-k2) light yrs, time=2.5 light yrs and velocity=6√(1-k2) /2.5 =k

solving the above equation,i have... WOW, k=0.923
ok,i think i don't have a problem anymore now that i can get v=0.923c

maybe previously i got the calculation wrong,i actually believe the velocity of spaceship should be the same no matter which reference frame i use to calculate,because velocity is usually the only thing that doesn't change across reference frames(?)

Thank you still for trying to help^^

jianghan said:
i assumed v=kc,therefore distance as measured by spaceship=6√(1-k2) light yrs, time=2.5 light yrs and velocity=6√(1-k2) /2.5 =k

solving the above equation,i have... WOW, k=0.923
ok,i think i don't have a problem anymore now that i can get v=0.923c
Good.

maybe previously i got the calculation wrong,i actually believe the velocity of spaceship should be the same no matter which reference frame i use to calculate,because velocity is usually the only thing that doesn't change across reference frames(?)
You are correct: The relative velocity between two frames is the same in both frames. (Except for sign, of course.) That's why I knew you must have made an error, since you can do this calculation starting from either frame.

You are correct: The relative velocity between two frames is the same in both frames. (Except for sign, of course.) That's why I knew you must have made an error, since you can do this calculation starting from either frame.

Thank you for the clear explanation,now i have no doubt about this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in the presence of gravity. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, which combines the three dimensions of space with the one dimension of time.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerated frames. General relativity also incorporates the effects of gravity on spacetime.

3. How does special relativity explain the constancy of the speed of light?

Special relativity postulates that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is known as the principle of relativity, and it is a fundamental concept in understanding the laws of physics.

4. Can special relativity be tested experimentally?

Yes, special relativity has been tested and confirmed through various experiments, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the time dilation experiments. These experiments have consistently shown that the predictions of special relativity hold true.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity introduces the concept of time dilation, which means that time can pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion. It also explains the relationship between space and time, showing that they are not separate entities but are interconnected in the fabric of spacetime.